ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Realtime backups

<< < (4/6) > >>

apankrat:
^ that I do :)

@oblivion - it's not "delta backups", it's "delta copying" -- it does not create an additional file that contains the delta change, it rather updates the actual backup copy of a file, but takes care to write in only changed parts. Here is a longer explanation just in case.

oblivion:
@oblivion - it's not "delta backups", it's "delta copying"-apankrat (September 02, 2011, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

:graduate: I am enlightened -- thanks!

Implemented on the relevant system last night. Seems to have done its thing as it should: looks good. My only gripe so far is that it produced three all-but-incomprehensible errors, each of which seem to relate to a failure to find a file in a folder that's actually a junction (on my Vista machine, user\documents\my pictures points to user\pictures, and there are two others, created automatically at user install time I think, for videos and music.)

It's early days, but this just MIGHT be the one.

Now, if Bvckup2 supports versioning, so I can keep the last three versions, say... :)

iphigenie:
I remember being quite impressed with 12ghosts backup - it makes a version every time the file changes, configurable, but keeps some for the long term "one version every hour during one day's time, one version every day for the last month, and finally one version per month for the last year"

I really like that approach, not seen it implemented elsewhere

For normal files, keeping the full version history (as in version control systems) is too much, but a certain safety net in case you discover a problem or corruption late (which, in real life, we might. I certainly lost a chapter of something I was writing once, and only noticed it the next time I wanted to review/rework that part, which was 2 weeks later...)

tranglos:
"one version every hour during one day's time, one version every day for the last month, and finally one version per month for the last year"

I really like that approach, not seen it implemented elsewhere-iphigenie (September 04, 2011, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apple's Time Machine uses that regime and yes, it seems very neat.

tomos:
I remember being quite impressed with 12ghosts backup - it makes a version every time the file changes, configurable, but keeps some for the long term "one version every hour during one day's time, one version every day for the last month, and finally one version per month for the last year"

I really like that approach, not seen it implemented elsewhere
-iphigenie (September 04, 2011, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Filehamster (FH) introduced something like this a while back. They call it DynamicRevisionHistory.
(I dont actually use the feature as I normally wouldnt work on a file that long. With FH I have complete control over when the file gets backed up - so I want all those backups kept.)

DynamicRevisionHistory operates on the assumption that the further back one goes, the less important intermittent revisions become.  Thus, the revision history can be dynamic based on how old a revision is.  All revisions are kept for the time period described in the DynamicRevisionHistoryDelay property.  If this property is set to 72 hours then all revisions within the past 72 hours will be kept.  From there, only the most recent revision for each previous day will be maintained.  Then only one revision for each past week, month and finally year...Eventually, the user will end up with only one revision if that revision is over a year old.

Here are a few of the other options available for manipulating revision histories:
DynamicRevisionHistoryDelay = Indicates when to start thinning revisions based on DynamicRevisionHistory.
MaxRevisions = Specified a maximum number of revisions to keep.
PreserveTimeSpan = Specifies a duration to preserve revisions.
--- End quote ---
http://support.mogware.net/index.php?topic=976.msg4069#msg4069

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version