ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Realtime backups

<< < (3/6) > >>

Tiesenhausen:
By chance, I just now had to start a synchronization routine when some new offsite disk space (internet accessible) opened up for me. Somehow I learned about FreeFileSync on sourceforge and so far it's doing everything it says it will do, efficiently and without breaking a sweat.

The interface is a little geeky sometimes, but hey! That shouldn't be a problem for members of this forum.

Best, Tiesenhausen

oblivion:
AJC ... I didn't get on with.

I like the concept. But when you're not just using it to back up *.doc in your Documents tree, life gets a little complicated.

I found that I didn't like the fact that although if it reports an error backing up a file and lets you remove it from the list to be processed, it doesn't allow you to "learn" not to bother with that file unless you explicitly go and specify it.

When you DO go and specify it, you have to take the program offline. When you do THAT, it doesn't revert to online after you click the OK button, and when you put it back online, it has to run a full sync again because it hasn't been watching things for a couple of minutes.

I gave up.

I've -- temporarily, at least -- given up with the realtime thing. I found a notification that the EaseUS backup program had some decent features and was now available in a free version, and it's the first program I've used that does what it's asked without bothering me. I've told it to run an incremental backup every day at 3am, to make the first backup of the week a full one, and I haven't seen so much of a squeak of an error message.

Of course, the test restore may still break it, and it's a way from where I started (with wanting realtime and trouble-free file synch to a backup space). But it's still a way better than where I was before -- if it works. I'll leave it be for a few days and try a restore.

If not, there's still several untried options!

Jibz:
Just adding a couple of real-time choices, even though you say you've given up on them; Bvckup and AutoVer.

oblivion:
Just adding a couple of real-time choices, even though you say you've given up on them; Bvckup and AutoVer.
-Jibz (September 02, 2011, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks!

Bvckup looks good (I'm always impressed by small yet functional  8) ) from the website, and because I don't have anything in realtime I can probably try it without backtracking, which is good news. Delta backups is interesting but has the potential for forcing detailed and careful testing of the restore process (as opposed to "normal" backup/synch restores which can be tested more easily and potentially without the program that ran the backup having to be available...) The website is SO minimal, though, that it's hard to be sure how much configuration will be required before I can unleash it. AutoVer also looks very capable so I'll try that if Bvckup doesn't cut it  :)

tomos:
^ note he has plans for a second version Bvckup 2 (dc thread)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version