ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Realtime backups

<< < (2/6) > >>

oblivion:
I'm going to start with the top two recommendations over on TechSupportAlert and, if they don't do what I want/need, I'll try AJC: looks good, and not too expensive. (SFFS IS too expensive, on the other hand, and will be kept in reserve for the point that I decide that nothing else will do. :) Thanks to everyone!

kyrathaba:
I use FBackup 4 (freeware) instead of the crappy WDSmart software that came with my WD 1 Tb MyBook Essential.  FBackup 4 works fine.  I've used it to mirror my notebook's drive to the MyBook.

Would you believe that WDSmart would not let me backup MyDocuments and its subfolders!?

oblivion:
FBackup 4 works fine.  I've used it to mirror my notebook's drive to the MyBook.
-kyrathaba (August 04, 2011, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
That was on my list of things to try -- but my first experiment is underway. PureSync. Free, has the sync on shutdown option that 40Hz recommended, installed with no glitches, seems easy to configure... looks good so far.

oblivion:
Okay, Puresync is gone. I didn't like the way it managed the file lists (very nonstandard) and even after the initial backup was done, the comparison process to work out if anything needed doing subsequently took a very long time.

I'm now trying Create Synchronicity and I'll let you know...

oblivion:
Well, Create Synchronicity is okay, but it is far more of a synch tool than a backup tool -- despite what it says at its home. I'm still using it but it throws errors when trying to backup certain things (automatic logfiles belonging to SYSTEM, I think) and trying to exclude those things is far more hassle than it should be. I'm not going to uninstall it just yet but I'm going to give AJC a try...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version