ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software Hall of Fame

<< < (11/14) > >>

nosh:
There's a certain retro charm that older wordprocessors possess - the wordprocessor that always springs to mind is the one Peter Coyote used in Bitter Moon. I remember searching for it on the Intertubes, with little luck.

oblivion:
Another irrelevant thought...

A BBC producer I used to know once told me that WordStar was often used by programme makers, not because they particularly preferred it (Macs were mostly used by the creative types) but because it had a "clean screen" mode that could be used to "mock up" pretty much any character-based computer screen you might want to appear on TV...  :)

rjbull:
Nothing masochistic about WordStar. The command sequences were considered arcane by many but had a certain amount of logic [...]
But far and away the most important thing about WordStar was the fact that you could do everything without moving your hands away from the home keys.-oblivion (September 16, 2011, 03:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly, the logic was kinaesthetic, not intellectual.  Once you'd trained your fingers, they knew what to do without needing your brain thereafter.

MilesAhead:
There's a certain retro charm that older wordprocessors possess - the wordprocessor that always springs to mind is the one Peter Coyote used in Bitter Moon. I remember searching for it on the Intertubes, with little luck.
-nosh (September 16, 2011, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't remember the name of the word processor that came with my Leading Edge XT Clone. But it made heavy use of the Function Keys.  Being an XT Clone, the 10 Function Keys were on the left side. I could sneak my left pinky over and hit the keys without moving my hand from "home row."  I like getting the dedicated arrow and number pads. But I hate the Function Keys being on top.  There's no way to press 'em without losing hand position on the keyboard. Well, if you're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar then maybe. :)

Ath:
I don't remember the name of the word processor that came with my Leading Edge XT Clone. But it made heavy use of the Function Keys.
-MilesAhead (September 16, 2011, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wasn't that WordPerfect 5.1? It was controlled by functionkeys almost 100%

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version