Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 28, 2014, 03:46:13 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Your Support Funds this Site: View the Supporter Yearbook.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Tomtom.com issue on my netbook  (Read 1613 times)
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »

Hi all,

I have a very strange issue with my netbook. I currently use a free wifi hotspot to connect to the Internet, and it went well until I tried to connect to www.tomtom.com. The website won't open. When I use another PC connected to the same hotspot, it just opens fine and quickly. When I retry several times on the netbook, it sometimes load the home page after 30 trials or so.

I have tried every single browser on the netbook: Opera, Chrome, K-Meleon, IE, and they all refuse to load properly www.tomtom.com.

Chrome does specify some error message :
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.

Any hint on where I should look to solve this ?

BTW, I have reinstalled Java & Flash, just in case... No effect.

Thanks for any help !

.merle1.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:48 AM »

Wow. That's esoteric.

Try pinging the site then adding a HOSTS file entry for it. That will help rule out DNS problems.

Next? Dunno. Drawing a blank there.

But don't waste time on installing/uninstalling. Components shouldn't cause problems there. (Unless they are low level.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »

http://www.google.com/sup...9043fff689eff09&hl=en

Might be useful
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »

Thanks to both of you.  I have already ruled out the DNS issue and proxy settings by trying the direct ip address (same result) and proxy settings are fine.  I see two directions I will investigate :
- trying to uninstall the web components of Avast 6
- Try to reset the IP settings that might have been altered by some utility.  Not much to loose trying that.

.merle1.
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »

After removing all network components of Avast 6 and optimized my IP connection with the free Ashampoo Optimizer3, it works now !

Since I did both fixes, I don't know which one worked, but anyway, it seems fixed now.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:07:24 PM by MerleOne » Logged

.merle1.
Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »

Your avast! was probably the free or the "normal" pro version. Allow me to recommend that you test avast! Internet Security with "avast! SafeZone™". It is quite good.

http://www.avast.com/internet-security

avast! SafeZone™ opens a new (clean) desktop so that other programs don’t see what’s happening – and it leaves no history once it’s closed.
MerleOne
Supporting Member

4D thinking

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »

Your avast! was probably the free or the "normal" pro version. Allow me to recommend that you test avast! Internet Security with "avast! SafeZone™". It is quite good.

http://www.avast.com/internet-security

avast! SafeZone™ opens a new (clean) desktop so that other programs don’t see what’s happening – and it leaves no history once it’s closed.

Thanks.  I already use sandboxie and I think it's basically the same feature.  And you're right, I do use the free version.

.merle1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.029s | Server load: 0.09 ]