topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Collaborative excel  (Read 5652 times)

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Collaborative excel
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Hi

I 'm looking for ways to have multiple users working on excel collaboratively. I would like to host it myself, and not on other servers. I do not need full Excel functionality, so I could use another software, it just more entering data and sorting.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Collaborative excel
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:58 PM »
That's pretty broad. Excel isn't a collaborative format, unless you start getting into SharePoint. But you might be served better/cheaper/easier/faster with something else. If you could say what you want to do, then it might help. Somebody might know a solution.

e.g. Zoho. Google docs. etc.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05 PM »
My clients ask about that all the time.

Some of it depends on which version of Excel you're using. And how you're defining "working collaboratively." You shouldn't have any problems with 2007 or above.

Microsoft has a good introductory article that gives you what options are available for various levels of "collaborative" use of an Excel workbook. Link here. This is where I point my clients initially when the question comes up. Most are interested in the section that's headed: Allowing multiple users to edit a workbook simultaneously. Scroll down about midway to find it.

Hope you find it helpful. :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Wow. It's come a long way. That's a pretty good article.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Wow. It's come a long way. That's a pretty good article.

+1 :Thmbsup:

Give Microsoft enough time, they'll usually get something working well enough that it's genuinely useful.

Credit where credit is due. 8)

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54 PM »
I'm looking for something more like Google Docs idea, but I like to host it myself, rather than on google servers.

Unfortunately, I don't use sharepoint, and have no plans to set that up.  I can only find hosted solutions, not offline ones.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:50 AM »
Microsoft has a good introductory article that gives you what options are available for various levels of "collaborative" use of an Excel workbook. Link here. This is where I point my clients initially when the question comes up. Most are interested in the section that's headed: Allowing multiple users to edit a workbook simultaneously. Scroll down about midway to find it.

Cool ... Just sent that link to a client, Thanks!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 08:55 AM »
@imtrobin - take a look at Alfresco for a Sharepoint alternative you can host yourself.

I don't know how well it may meet your specific needs. And I don't have much experience with Alfresco beyond setting up a small test environment and playing with it for a few weeks a while ago. But I do recall being very impressed with how well it stacked up against Sharepoint in a feature by feature comparison. It's pretty much the acknowledged "worthy competitor" to Microsoft's collaboration offerings.

Alfresco is a FOSS product so there's a free unsupported community edition you can download if you want to give it a try. Just commandeer a spare PC, or set up a virtual machine, load up your software and have at it. Only some hands-on experience will allow you to accurately determine if Alfresco might work for you.

Fortunately, it will only cost you your time to check it out.  8)

Luck! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:59 AM by 40hz »

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Looks interesting, thanks!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 09:10 AM »

Cool ... Just sent that link to a client, Thanks!

Groovy! Don't you just LOVE IT when you can do something that easy without acting irresponsibly towards your client?

It's so rare you can in our line of business. ;D