Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 20, 2014, 04:43:54 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DC Server Down for 3 hours on June 4, 2011 due to datacenter power outage  (Read 7286 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 04, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »

The Seattle Softlayer datacenter where the DC server is located had an unexpected power loss last night (sat 3am-6am) that took the DC server (and DC member server) offline.

Softlayer experienced a power event which caused the Seattle datacenter to go offline. The UPS's failed to pick up the load and engineers are currently investigating the cause. At this time power has been restored, and we are working on bringing all devices back online into working order.
Best Regards, Eric C., SoftLayer Support

The main DC server/forum is now back online (thanks to DC member Gothic!) and all seems well, and no forum data has been lost.

Note 1: The DC member server is still offline for a bit while we attend to that.
Note 2: We' may take the server briefly offline sometime next week to test and improve our daily backup scripts.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:15:59 PM by mouser » Logged
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 06:53:22 AM »

I'm now getting this:

An Error Has Occurred!
 The server's resources are temporarily under too high a demand to find all the topics you have not read.

Back
DonationCoder.com | About UsDonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF

[ Page time: 14.093s | Server load: 36.66 ]

[edit] not anymore, apparently [/edit]

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:54:12 AM »

Yep, give the server a bit of time to finish doing background stuff..
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 07:24:01 AM »

The main DC server/forum is now back online

Thank you Gothic!

Chris
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »

That is bizarre. Don't they have redundant power? Was it a blackout? Brownout?

I host with Softlayer in Texas. They've been excellent.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »

That is bizarre. Don't they have redundant power? Was it a blackout? Brownout?

I host with Softlayer in Texas. They've been excellent.

The entire datacenter went dark completely.

Normally they have UPS'es and battery banks to keep things runing until the generators kick in.
The UPS'es "couldn't handle the load" according to them, and everything went down.

It wasn't a brownout as it took quite a bit for them to restore power.
Ath
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:57:09 AM »

So they are now working on a new disaster recovery plan, I presume tellme

kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »

Much appreciation to Gothic, who works tirelessly behind the scenes, keeping DC servers going!  Thmbsup

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »

Is it just me or some good hosts like host gator, soft layer, media temple are facing problems these days ?
worstje
Honorary Member

The Gent with the White Hat

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 06:19:04 AM »

I don't know about hosts, but I surely hear a lot of complaints about the place DC is hosted. Professionalism is hard to find, I think, since if they had set it up properly, then they would have had enough juice to last till generators kicked in - or at the very least have had enough juice to power the most important pieces of electronics. Everything going down just means that they messed up big time. Sad
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »

I've been with The Planet for years, and with SoftLayer and The Planet since they merged.

The number of real problems I have had total exactly zero.

However, I am in the Texas data centers. Maybe that makes a difference.

worstje
Honorary Member

The Gent with the White Hat

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »

With data centers, it isn't about how many problems there are over a period. It is about the effect a single problem can have. Good management keeps up on all their expireable UPSes, keeps matters segmented and so forth. That way, if a problem happens, it only hits some customers, or throughput is lowered, and not the entire location. I stick with my opinion that they should have done more disaster tests and drills. smiley
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »

I'm seeing tons of complaints from past SoftLayer fans on their forum and on the webhostingtalk.com forum; seems like a general consensus is forming that since the merger with ThePlanet hosting company, SoftLayer is definitely having some issues..
Renegade
Charter Member

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:25:19 PM »

I'm seeing tons of complaints from past SoftLayer fans on their forum and on the webhostingtalk.com forum; seems like a general consensus is forming that since the merger with ThePlanet hosting company, SoftLayer is definitely having some issues..

Odd... They were both good companies. Is this just a growing pain do you think?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »

Is this just a growing pain do you think?

Definitely possible, and it would be understandable.  But it does mean that it might be prudent for people thinking about becoming new SoftLayer customers to wait a bit until things settle down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.19 ]