ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone

<< < (7/11) > >>

Darwin:
It is pretty easy to use. Features wise it rocks, but UI wise of course nothing can beat iOS.
-sri (August 23, 2011, 06:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

WP7, by a landslide. I'm running Mango on my handset (HTC Surround) and it's da bomb! I loved WP7 prior to installing the beta, but Mango subtly augments and enhances just about everything. I have devices running iOS 4.3.5, Android 1.6 and Android 2.21 and I VASTLY prefer the GUI in WP7.

Stoic Joker:
I mainly use my phone to make phone calls ... because, it's a phone.
-Stoic Joker (August 02, 2011, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

My $0.02: if it's a phone, then it IS a phone, but if it's a "smartphone" I think it's not exactly a phone.-ajp (August 22, 2011, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not exactly a phone, is still a phone ... Especially when it just so happens to be called a phone, be it smart or otherwise. I don't care what else it does, I was at a phone store, to get a phone ... and that's what I'll be using it for, as that is what I went after in the first place. :)

Do I have a "Smart" phone? Yes. However the rest of its features only serve to allow people an ever increasing number of ways to annoy the shit out of me even when they are not physically present. Hence my two favorite features of the device are that it allows me to call people when I need to speak with them, and it has this delightful little button on the top that allows me to shut the son-of-a-bitch off.

...Yes, I am getting old and cantankerous.

:D

daddydave:
I mainly use my phone to make phone calls ... because, it's a phone.
-Stoic Joker (August 02, 2011, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

My $0.02: if it's a phone, then it IS a phone, but if it's a "smartphone" I think it's not exactly a phone.-ajp (August 22, 2011, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not exactly a phone, is still a phone ... Especially when it just so happens to be called a phone, be it smart or otherwise. I don't care what else it does, I was at a phone store, to get a phone ... and that's what I'll be using it for, as that is what I went after in the first place. :)

Do I have a "Smart" phone? Yes. However the rest of its features only serve to allow people an ever increasing number of ways to annoy the shit out of me even when they are not physically present. Hence my two favorite features of the device are that it allows me to call people when I need to speak with them, and it has this delightful little button on the top that allows me to shut the son-of-a-bitch off.

...Yes, I am getting old and cantankerous.

:D
-Stoic Joker (August 23, 2011, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting, why not just get a plain old dumbphone then?

Stoic Joker:
Interesting, why not just get a plain old dumbphone then?-daddydave (August 23, 2011, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

(fair question!) Because the office insisted, and is paying for the phone. Left to my own devices (pun intended), I'd just get a plain phone. Assuming I could find one...considering they are trying to make it impossible to not get stuck with a data plan these days.

Shades:
Even in a backwater like Paraguay it is becoming seriously hard to buy a new "dumb" phone. Whether you want it or not, the only options available are the not so-"dumb", the smart and (when money is not a problem) really smart phones.

Went to the official Nokia dealer here to get a dumb one....and I leave with a 5530! Besides good salesmanship and my attraction to the "blinkenlights" it offered I now do not have what I actually was out to get...a phone to call with.

Ah well, at least it is relatively easy to write SMS messages with it, which is often the most efficient way of communicating over here anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version