ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Speech to Text Software?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Renegade:
Do I need the Pro version of DNS to transcribe files?

They have no trial versions available that I could find, which makes it very difficult to figure out.

J-Mac:

They have no trial versions available that I could find, which makes it very difficult to figure out.
-Renegade (September 25, 2011, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Basically, yes. Standard does almost nothing; no commands, just basic transcription but no way to properly correct it. They used to have a "Preferred" edition but I don’t know if that is still offered. Preferred does have the ability to create command scripts but is somewhat limited. Global commands - which are the most useful and necessary for some tasks - is only available in the Pro edition, or at least that was the case through Version 10. I used the Standard edition of DNS 7, and then the Preferred edition of DNS 8. I finally purchased the Pro version of DNS 9 and got the most use out of that but not enough error-free usage to justify buying DNS 10.

Jim

Renegade:

-Renegade (September 25, 2011, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Basically, yes. Standard does almost nothing; no commands, just basic transcription but no way to properly correct it. They used to have a "Preferred" edition but I don’t know if that is still offered. Preferred does have the ability to create command scripts but is somewhat limited. Global commands - which are the most useful and necessary for some tasks - is only available in the Pro edition, or at least that was the case through Version 10. I used the Standard edition of DNS 7, and then the Preferred edition of DNS 8. I finally purchased the Pro version of DNS 9 and got the most use out of that but not enough error-free usage to justify buying DNS 10.

Jim
-J-Mac (September 25, 2011, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I'd really like to try it first...

Is this the right one?

http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/en_US/pd/productID.231504200

They've got 666 trillion versions, and I really don't want to go through the pain of buying it AGAIN and then returning it because it doesn't do what I need.

(It would be nice if they had a complete feature set table... I suppose that's too much to ask what the product does... sigh...)

I'm somewhat tempted to see if I can find a cracked version to try and verify that it works before spending $200 on it... Nah... I can't be bothered...

J-Mac:
Looks like they have relabeled what I called the "Preferred" edition and now call it "Premium".

IMO the Professional version was the only one that was worthwhile. Of course it appears that the price difference is still very large! (Though it is actually lower now than when I purchased DNS Pro 9).

Thank you.

Jim

Renegade:
Looks like they have relabeled what I called the "Preferred" edition and now call it "Premium".

IMO the Professional version was the only one that was worthwhile. Of course it appears that the price difference is still very large! (Though it is actually lower now than when I purchased DNS Pro 9).
-J-Mac (September 25, 2011, 11:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ack... I don't really want to spend, what was it? 5, 6, 7, 800 dollars? Yikes. For those nutty numbers, I'd want a command line interface so that I could automate things... Sheesh...

Would the $200 version work for what I need?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version