ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I was wrong - again! (cheap monitor theory invalid)

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
One thing I have noticed is that at times (on different monitors) the refresh rate has been set at 59 MHz, and at other times 60 MHz. I never found out why but the monitors never appeared to display poorly so I guess the settings were OK. I guess that 1 single MHz can actually make a difference?
-J-Mac (August 01, 2011, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just noticed that yesterday - options being 59 or 60 mhz (new machine, same monitor, cant remember what options it showed on old machine) and was wondering the same, what difference the one Mhz might make...

steeladept:
what options it showed on old machine) and was wondering the same, what difference the one Mhz might make...
-tomos (August 01, 2011, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Only about 1 million waves per second  :P 

In reality though, I think it would just depend on the monitor used.  The frequency generator probably is tuned for different voltage/frequencies and it makes it easier to manufacture a "world-wide" compliant generator at 59MHz vs. 60MHz (or vise-versa).  Or it could be something as silly as the difference between 1000kb and 1MB in computer terms - Effectively the same for most people, but definitely different amounts.

Ath:
That's about a refresh-rate of 59 or 60 Hz, not MegaHz, and the rate depends on the combination of screen, it's firmware and the frequency of the power supplied to it.

cranioscopical:
screen, it's firmware and the frequency of the power supplied
-Ath (August 02, 2011, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Ath,

I don't do this often enough, so thought I'd send a wave in your direction.

Edvard:
I don't do this often enough,
--- End quote ---

So, you need to increase your frequency?
I'm sure some of us could help you monitor that...  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version