ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I was wrong - again! (cheap monitor theory invalid)

<< < (2/4) > >>

worstje:
I have noticed the difference, especially on higher resolutions with LCD screens. Since the LCDs are digital by nature, it needs to convert the analog, and it gives a very visible flickering effect that is annoying (even when watching a movie!) - not due to a lack of a high refresh rate, but instead because the signal was very sensitive to electro-magnetic noise stuffs.

Definitely use digital signals.

fenixproductions:
@nudone
May be off topic but did you try to customize Clear Type?

My own LCD was hurting my eyes until I found:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

Edvard:
+1 on refresh frequency.

The first time I used an LCD screen, it was blurred no matter what I did (this was a while ago; don't remember if it was VGA or not).
I tried all kinds of resolutions, a different video card, etc.
Some settings were slightly better, many were worse, but nothing would get rid of the blur.
What did the trick?
Setting the refresh to 60 Hz...  :huh:

I was so used to setting frequencies of 75 Hz and above on my CRT monitors for flicker-free performance that it was the first thing I set on the LCD monitor.
I can't remember what it was that inspired me to try it, but as soon as I set it to 60 Hz the image was flicker-free and crystal clear.

Stoic Joker:
+1^ I recall doing much the same thing back when.

J-Mac:
I have been using nVidia GeForce graphics cards for a few years now - even though they have been the very bane of my existence a lot of the time! - and most often the nVidia software "reads" the monitor's requirements and sets the refresh rate accordingly. I usually peek at the various settings from time to time though I rarely change anything manually unless I read a specific thread at the nVidia forum that recommends otherwise - I just don’t know enough to change the settings my own knowledge.

One thing I have noticed is that at times (on different monitors) the refresh rate has been set at 59 MHz, and at other times 60 MHz. I never found out why but the monitors never appeared to display poorly so I guess the settings were OK. I guess that 1 single MHz can actually make a difference?

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version