topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Child board set up for discounts and deals found on the web  (Read 88270 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
We set up a child board of this section for posts relating to deals/discounts found on the web:

https://www.donation...index.php?board=39.0

I think it makes sense in terms of providing a specific place for such things; it will help people who are interested to have a single place to look, and it will also serve to keep the other sections of the board free from advertisements, etc.

So any kind of special offers or discounts relating to software are acceptable in that section (and only that section).

The offers should be computer related, and my previously stated position of allowing posts from people with a financial stake in the offer still stands - just state your affiliation and do not spam the section with multiple posts.

I encourage you to share any good (software) deals you find on the web in that section; I hope it will turn into a useful resource for all of us.  I think if we have some good deal-finders that post regularly to it, it will be a nice addition to the fourm.

In keeping with the spirit of the site, i encourage our respected members to comment on the deals if they think they are not worth it, or if they think there is something people should know, etc. (but please be respectful); some editorial comment on the offers would be helpful.

And a bit of warning with regard to all discounts and deals you run across on the web.  Don't just jump on some offer as a spur-of-the-moment thing.  Many an ebay bid has been regretted by someone who pushed the "bid" button in the heat of the moment, and came to regret it in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:54 PM by mouser »

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Child board set up for discounts and deals found on the web
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 12:22 AM »
The only regret I have about eBay is that someone always outbids me.  Eg last Saturday I was 11 mins away from my mobile phone at $AU425 and then they started.  It finished up going for $505, well over what I was prepared to pay.

Jeff

chr15

• Site Programmer
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
  • Everything in life is a gamble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 02:16 AM »
Don't be too put out on stuff you buy on ebay, I was looking to replace the mobile phone I lost.
And I was very happy to win the bid, but when then item arrived, it was a very bad state, I mean
it more to return to its mint state, as this was the state of the phone I lost.

It is very close to finding itself, in the bin one of these days, when I can be bother to open the drawer I put it in.

Not to mention the old story of purchasing a service, on ebay pay in advance as the contract indicates, setup every thing only to find that service has been withdrawn.

I am slightly waring of anything I bid for in ebay, but I must admit I did have one success, bidded slightly more than what I planned, but the cost was still low enough to be a bargin, albeit for two months until the new price dropped below the bid price, but hey I am still using it, and it still works fine.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 02:34 AM »
i have bought tons of stuff on ebay, from real people, and had great experiences.
really a wonderful place, imho.

the only thing i warn people about is the continuing increase in businesses trying to offload junk and people trying to resell junk.

i wouldnt buy something from a computer company selling stuff on ebay unless i had a damn good reason,
but buying individual items that real humans put up for sale on ebay has been nothing but a great experience for me.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 02:39 AM »
I've had some good experiences.  I bought a book/CD about Web Studio 2 for $US3 and sent $7 postage from the US to Australia.  It only cost the seller $5.90 for postage so they sent a US dollar and a dime over with the book.  The price for the book in a local book shop was $US45.

Jeff

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 07:05 AM »
I've long felt that I was the only person on earth who'd never used ebay, and probably never would.  Oh well.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

Dragonrider

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 12:48 AM »
No nudie (looking good Scott  :) )...  I too haven't used ebay & probably never will.  I'm still not comfortable putting financial info. or conducting transactions on the internet.  I keep pretty close tabs on security stuff on the net & have never grown comfortable with it.

Regards
Dragonrider

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 09:46 AM »
I have had nothing but good experiences buying and selling (just a few time) via eBay. You just have to be sensible about who you do business with and what you buy. I am always wary of people selling DVDs and CDs because there is so much pirated stuff for sale, but there are also lots of reputable individuals and businesses.

I don't know about other parts of the world but PayPal in Europe now is a regulated financial company - which certainly makes it feel a good deal more secure.

Looks like eBay sellers are going to get a shock though. If you are in the UK see "Ebay: Money for Old Rope. BBC2. 19th September , 10pm. Could the internet auction site be under threat from the taxman?" or have a look at http://www.thisismon..._page_id=77&ct=5

Heck I have even met a few people via eBay ;) (through personal deliveries and collections).

NewsAndHistory

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mouser. I appreciate your help.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:36 AM »
So any kind of special offers or discounts relating to software are acceptable in that section (and only that section).

Just to clarify.. if I have a legally obtained freebie(such as a license) is it okay to post an invitation to swap?  Something like "I have this.  PM me to swap if you have that."  It's likely to be a one shot thing.  I don't foresee dozens of people gifting me licenses in the future.  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 08:52 PM »
seem ok, as long as it isn't against terms of license.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 07:24 PM »
seem ok, as long as it isn't against terms of license.

Cool.  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Want to buy a software product in low price? Come to visit IfCoupons.com. Here is the online shop where you can find many useful software products. The most delightful thing is that it offers free software deals and coupons, which enables you to possess the software in really low price. Don’t hesitate to come and have a look.
Is that you, Winsome Lousum?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Want to buy a software product in low price? Come to visit IfCoupons.com. Here is the online shop where you can find many useful software products. The most delightful thing is that it offers free software deals and coupons, which enables you to possess the software in really low price. Don’t hesitate to come and have a look.
Is that you, Winsome Lousum?

-cranioscopical (October 14, 2014, 08:17 AM)

Good to see you back Chris! ;D :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 06:14 PM »

Thanks  :)
I hadn't left, I simply had virtual duct tape over my virtual mouth.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 06:39 PM »

Thanks  :)
I hadn't left, I simply had virtual duct tape over my virtual mouth.
-cranioscopical (October 14, 2014, 06:14 PM)

really?

:p

I probably should add an embarrassed smiley there too :-)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 03:31 PM »
really?

:p

I probably should add an embarrassed smiley there too :-)
I knew that, sooner or later, I'd come unstuck.