ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What special character do you use to have a file sorted at the top?

<< < (6/7) > >>

tomos:
Greetings One and All

I use @ and have been known to use @@ and even @@@
-cordowr (August 22, 2011, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Greetings to you too cordowr :)
that's a good tip - I always thought that was one of those disallowed characters.

ssoundman:
What do you all use to always have a file/folder sort to the bottom?
-AndyM (July 28, 2011, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've seen people use prefixes like "zzz_"
-superboyac (July 28, 2011, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use the underscore to put them at the top, and z's at the bottom. It works.

I don't like ! or ~ though for the reasons mentioned above - scripts, etc.
-Renegade (July 28, 2011, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same here: underscores for the top of the list and z's for the bottom. Works well and I have yet to see any incompatibilities.

f0dder:
I use @ and have been known to use @@ and even @@@-cordowr (August 22, 2011, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
I use '@' as well - it looks good  :-[, and allows you to add more important (ie, lower ascii value) if you realize something is more important. I used to use '#', and settled on '@' when I realize '#' breaks certain stuff (like Windows' .chm viewer - probably because '#' is used for HTML anchor hashtags).

For people who need a tip on sorting order, check the ascii table :)

alxwz:
I used to use underscores back in the day (mostly for folders only), but they wouldn't work in the same sort order on my Macs, so I switched to exclamation marks. Those seem to work the same on all platforms. I also use multiple exclamation marks if I need a hierarchy (rarely).
Exclamation marks have the additional advantage of being quite narrow.

And they give me an additional laugh once in a while when other people have to deal with my folder hierarchy.
Nobody seems to recognize the additional character and everyone is rather confused by how everything is sorted :D

BTW: Have been away for a while and it's nice to see this place is still lively.

Jimdoria:
I put square brackets around the names of shortcuts I want to appear at the top of the file list directly under the folders.

[Thumbdrive Documents]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version