ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do You Want Your Searches Monitored?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I just heard some commonsense spoken in the radio news by some Europol person (European international police) saying that basically if this kind of thing was implemented the perpetrator would simply work around it....-tomos (July 28, 2011, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yepper, Break the primary target down into vaguely related subcomponent topics, and then re-associate/assemble them later (off line) in your head. I do exactly that all the time when looking for source code. Can anyone tell what I'm coding from the searches I do/did? No. But that has zero impact on my ability to get the project done.

Hell from a search perspective; the only difference between a tourist, and a terrorist ... Is only one of them has a fuse sticking out of their fanny-pack. Otherwise the'll both be looking for pretty much the same shit.

Renegade:
well,
I just heard some commonsense spoken in the radio news by some Europol person (European international police) saying that basically if this kind of thing was implemented the perpetrator would simply work around it....

(dont know was that a spokesperson or not)
-tomos (July 28, 2011, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

SSL, VPNs, proxies... It's not hard to get around. They'd only end up persecuting regular people.

J-Mac:
So what security is gained by monitoring everyone's internet searches? Another example of what Bruce Schneier calls "security theater". Looks like it could possibly add to security but in reality does nothing but waste a lot of money. Terrorists aren't caught by invading the entire population's privacy! Terrorists are caught the way they have always been: with good, solid targeted intelligence and investigative work. Monitoring everyone everywhere is completely unworkable - who the hell is checking ALL searches? What, through filters? Useless. Look at every instance of terrorist caught since 2001 and tell me how many were due to mass monitoring. Zero. Plus here in the US the mass privacy intrusions are being used more for lesser crimes rather than terrorism. Which is probably why the internet search monitoring is proposed more so than preventing another act of terror.

Jim

zridling:
What's also sad is how boring criminal investigation has become. Search the computer, examine phone records, GPS locations, CCTV recordings, Highway/intersection camera tracking, etc. I don't do anything wrong or illegal, but we all know that's not enough to keep you from being "detained" indefinitely in the US. If I think about it for more than five minutes, I get screaming mad and need a fistful of sleeping pills just to calm down. Point is, everything we do can be monitored after the fact, and many times, during. It's no wonder I live a desperately quiet life.

KynloStephen66515:
lol. I can imagine what is going to happen if the likes of Google and Bing start monitoring all searches by its users...Domains like piratesearch.com will start popping up!

On a better note:

Forums that usually use terms like "JFGI (Just F***ing Google It)" will maybe start answering questions instead!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version