ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do You Want Your Searches Monitored?

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
Well, more police-state nonsense:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/could-google-have-caught-the-norway-killer-20110728-1i17r.html?from=smh_sb

Speaking to the website, Charles Sturt University computer science lecturer Craig Wright said he expected people in European countries to call for search engines to monitor user behaviour as a result of the attacks.

Nigel Phair, a former Australian Federal Police officer who is now a private security consultant, said real-time monitoring of search queries would be a welcomed "additional intelligence tool for national security agencies". Google could theoretically be a "good citizen" and report users it has identified as potentially high risk.
--- End quote ---

It seems like every tragedy is an excuse to tighten the noose of control in the modern western police state.

Oh, and by the way, since 76 people were murdered in Norway 6 days ago, almost 90,000 children under 5 have starved to death. Just to put a little perspective on things...

tomos:
Oh, and by the way, since 76 people were murdered in Norway 6 days ago, almost 90,000 children under 5 have starved to death. Just to put a little perspective on things...
-Renegade (July 28, 2011, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

...there's really no need to put perspective on this Renegade: it is good that you make us aware of what's going on in the world and I understand that you are upset about the media coverage imbalance and the reactions you quote.

But if you were related to any of those people, or if you were closer geographically, you wouldnt want to hear this.
Neither is on. Hunger or murder. No need to compare imo.

vlastimil:
It seems like every tragedy is an excuse to tighten the noose of control in the modern western police state.
--- End quote ---

Politicians are happy when they can play it safe and responsible and gain another bit of power in the process.

I am ashamed of the European governments. The situation in Lybia and Somalia are another examples of how effectively can we "help".

nosh:
I'm always torn when it comes to these issues. It sucks having big brother breathing down your neck. OTOH, I also can't stand libtards whining about security checks. We live in f#ed up times, there's no perfect solution.

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

...there's really no need to put perspective on this Renegade: it is good that you make us aware of what's going on in the world and I understand that you are upset about the media coverage imbalance and the reactions you quote.

But if you were related to any of those people, or if you were closer geographically, you wouldnt want to hear this.
Neither is on. Hunger or murder. No need to compare imo.
-tomos (July 28, 2011, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Off topicI knew that was coming at some point. And to some degree I deserve a tongue lashing for it.

And you're right. It's not a fair comparison at all. It's something that we're simply going to be in disagreement on.

But knowing people isn't going to change my perspective. In other news, 44 people were killed in floods in Korea where I have a lot of friends. And 15,000 kids starved to death today.

I'm going to hammer on the "media tragedy hype" with the non-news-worthy starvation deaths of kids under 5.

I'm always torn when it comes to these issues. It sucks having big brother breathing down your neck. OTOH, I also can't stand libtards whining about security checkups. We live in f#ed up times, there's no perfect solution.
-nosh (July 28, 2011, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is a hard issue. But surveillance on everyone won't solve anything. It's hard to know who the bad guys are until things go south. But any determined bad guy can use SSL, VPNs, encryption, proxies and other measures to conceal their tracks. So is it worth spying on everyone? I rather doubt it. It's all too easy for good intentions to lead to bad places.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version