topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Found Money  (Read 33119 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2012 Release: Found Money
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:39 PM »
NANY 2012 Entry Information

Application Name Found Money
Version 1.0.1.6
Short Descriptionmanage your pocket change or "found money" and track it over time...
Supported OSes Windows XP forward
Setup File link to download setup file
PAD file URLhttp://kyrathaba.dcm...y/FoundMoney_PAD.xml
System Requirementsrequires .NET 4.0 Framework (installer will D/L and install it if needed)
Author Infocoded by kyrathaba | Profile page | Kyrathaba DC page | author of Kyrathaba's Source Code Line Counter. My past NANY entries include: Crocus Contacts, Blackjack, and NANY Excuse Manager.
DescriptionWe all do it: find a dime on the sidewalk, or a quarter in the floorboard of our vehicle.  Lots of people pick these up as "found money".  Superstitious people sometimes make sure the coin is heads-up first, though :)  And many people empty their pockets at the end of the work-day, and save their pocket change.  I myself have a separate coffee mug for each coin type: pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters.  Naturally, each mug is a DC mug...

I've been doing this for a long time.  Several times over the years I've emptied a big jar of coins and cashed out $200 to $350 at my local bank.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a program, preferably FREE, that tracked this "found money" (or the money your kid sticks in his or her piggy-bank)?  Well, thankfully, DC member caddo requested just such an app and, intrigued, I created it.  I give you "Found Money"!  For anyone wanting background on this app, you may refer to [url=https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27207.0]this link.
Features
  • add each "find", specifying the number of each type of coin and bill found, the location it was found, and the date.
  • edit previously saved files (maybe you accidentally assigned the wrong date, or got the number of quarters wrong, etc.)
  • show and browse data for all saved records, or for a subset of those records falling inclusively between two dates
  • intelligently query the records: "Now what day was that when I found the silver dollar in the men's lavatory?"
  • pie charts visually show the ratio of coins to other coins, bills to other bills
  • alongside the pie charts is a textual breakdown of coin/bill percentages, both of total coins vs bills, and in terms of overall money
Screenshots
Installationuse the Inno Setup installer
Using the applicationAny special pointers about using the app should go here...
Uninstallinguse Windows' Add/Remove Programs applet, or your favorite uninstaller, or the built-in Inno Setup uninstaller
Known Issuesnone known: please report any your find, preferably with specific steps to reproduce the error, and a screenshot of the problem

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 12:18 PM by kyrathaba »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Found Money
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:05 AM »
Hey, it's a release :up: (you could probably drop the 'early beta' IMHO :D)

Feature request:
  • Option to switch the currency used. I never see or find US$, Euro's are much more likely (hint: localization)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:18 AM »
(you could probably drop the 'early beta' IMHO :D)

Maybe that should have said: It's early, and it's beta, but not an early beta ;D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Localization would make the app more broadly usable.  Thanks for the suggestion, Ath!  I'll keep it in mind for a future update  :up:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Major Update v1.0.1.3 fixes a bug or two and introduces pie-charting of record data.  Update to this version from within the program by using file menu items "Help"->"About"->"Update", then following the instructions.

FM_v1013_featurePreview.png

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Major update.  Version 1.0.1.4 introduces full pie-charting for both coins and bills, and alongside these visual reporting-aids is a text breakdown of percentages of both coins and bills, as they relate to the overall number of each coin or bill denomination, and as they relate to the total value. 

Update to this version from within the program by using file menu items "Help"->"About"->"Update", then following the instructions.

FM_v1014.png

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Any news on a GBP version of this?

No real point in me downloading it right now as im never going to find a US$ or coin lol

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:56 PM »
If I get sufficient feedback wanting such a feature, I might include coin/bill localization.  Thanks, Stephen!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 05:27 PM »
It shouldn't be too hard to get the localized info from Local Machine. T-Clock does it for certain parts of the custom format string. I can send you that section of the code if it'll help.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 05:30 PM »
I'd appreciate it, SJ  :up:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 03:49 AM »
Major Update v1.0.1.3 fixes a bug or two and ...
Major update.  Version 1.0.1.4 introduces full pie-charting for ...

I have a request for version numbering: Could 'Major updates', as mentioned above, actually be reflected in the version number? Going from 1.0.1.3 to 1.0.1.4 feels like a minor bugfix release, instead of adding new charting features as you have. I'd have gone at least from 1.0 to 1.1 for what you now call 1.0.1.4 :huh:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 07:33 AM »
That's a reasonable, sensible request.  I'll try to oblige it in future.  Thanks, Ath!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Instead of localisation per-se why not allow users to edit a .txt file and add all their types of coins/notes(bills) in there.

If you did this, people could also start writing the currency files for you to ship with the final build, where they simply select the required currency from a list, and it grabs the info from the file itself!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 09:45 AM »
That would work as well, Stephen.  I think I'll take these suggestions under serious consideration, but probably for a post-NANY2012 release.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 10:47 AM »
That would work as well, Stephen.  I think I'll take these suggestions under serious consideration, but probably for a post-NANY2012 release.

Yeah, no rush with it :)

I rarely find any money on the street anyway haha, last time I did, was about 7 years ago when I found £180 in a bundle, which was awesome cause I had only just enough money to get home that day!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 02:29 PM »
I've been using this program myself at the end of the work-day, when I empty my pockets and file my coins into their respective DC mugs on my computer desk :D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07 PM »
I've been using this program myself at the end of the work-day, when I empty my pockets and file my coins into their respective DC mugs on my computer desk :D

MY pockets get emptied straight in to my mrs's purse lmao

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 05:09 PM »
See!  That's where my program comes in: it gives you motivation to hold a few coins back... :D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 05:25 PM »
See!  That's where my program comes in: it gives you motivation to hold a few coins back... :D

Ha, very true, but I do honestly have a hatred for money.  I like to have enough to pay the bills and feed the dogs and the rest is given to my mrs who decided what random stuff to buy :P

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Woohoo!  Downloads for this program here at DC and across other download sites has exceeded 1,000 downloads!  I'm still using this program almost daily myself:

foundMoney12042011.png

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I gotta start walking the same streets you are walking (just 5 minutes ahead of you ofcourse :tellme:).
I never in my entire life (and I've been around for some decades) found this many coins and bills, that you found in a few months :o now I see why you needed this app

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 03:10 PM »
The biggest bill I ever found was one of 25 guilders (the standard coin of the Netherlands at the time). Only found a few coins over my lifetime (till now).

Are Dutch people more careful with their money/wallet? Or do we pay a lot more electronically?

To me the application did not make too much sense either.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 11:20 AM »
To me the application did not make too much sense either.

@Shades: the program can be used to keep track of U.S. money you truly find (a quarter on a bus, a dollar on the sidewalk, etc), or of money you save (read as "in your piggy-bank" [real or virtual]).  Under "Description" in the OP, there's a link to the Coding Snacks thread where this all started.  Really, the Short Description in the OP summarizes its function pretty succinctly.

I never in my entire life (and I've been around for some decades) found this many coins and bills, that you found in a few months ohmy now I see why you needed this app

@Ath: I found them when I robbed various stores' cash registers...

No, seriously, one of the dropdown options for location where money was found (which I added via the application's provision for just such additional locations) is your pocket/wallet:

end_of_day.png

I wish I was actually finding this kind of money daily, out on the street somewhere!  But, as you can see, I'm using the program more like a piggy-bank.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:38 AM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: Found Money
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 12:17 PM »
I'm moving the discussion thread for this app to this thread.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:10 PM by kyrathaba »