ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Freemake Software: Help With A Service

<< < (2/4) > >>

y0himba:
No toolbars or addons, just this service, thanks though. I alredy disabled it on my desktop, but left it running on the laptop to see if it would transmit even though I never ran the program. It does.

I have no idea how to debug it, see what it is sending and where, so forth.  A lot of people use and love this "freeware" which is why it concerns me that they may be collecting more than bug or crash data.

worstje:
I just looked on their website, and was a bit concerned to see the bottom:

© 2010-2011 Ellora Assets Corporation. Privacy policy Terms of use.
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what the footer has on it. Or, in case the obviousness is lost in the quote: there are no actual links. I didn't see any such pages by browsing to other pages either.

More concerning even is their Wikipedia page, which has a section about a licensing controversy:

FFmpeg has added Freemake Video Converter to its Hall of Shame. An issue tracker entry for this product, opened on 16 December 2010, says it is in violation of GNU General Public License as it is distributing components of FFmpeg project without including due credit. Ellora Assets Corporation has not responded yet.
--- End quote ---

In other words, you are dealing with a company that (despite all of the 'social media buttons' on its front page) lacks the capacity to communicate and/or doesn't give a crap about licenses. It is probably a single individual running this entire site, but even if that isn't the case they operate under the guise of a company. As such they should be held to the standards of one. Throw in the fact that you say they censor the social media stuff about that service, and little remains to trust them with.

y0himba:
So how would I go about debugging the service to see what it is doing/transmitting and where?  If I am wrong, I will eat crow and apologize up and down.  However, their actions are suspicious and I want proof.

worstje:
Install Wireshark and use that to zone in on the service. You'll probably need an Administrator account. Tutorials are all over the net I believe.

y0himba:
Will do.  Any Sysinternals tools that would be of use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version