ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mac OS Lion opinions

<< < (4/4)

steeladept:
Y'know... It just occurred to me... I never hear about breakage on Linux upgrades...  :o
-Renegade (July 24, 2011, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have, in fact, my Linux Mint distro just broke the other day.  There was a work around and everything came back, but it does break.  There is just more savvy people out there that can tell you how to work around it.  Basically, the update in Linux Mint wiped the file that told Linux where to boot.  You have to copy some stuff from the live CD, update some conf files, and wala - it works again.  Still, without a second machine to look that up, I would have been SCREWED! 

Okay, not really, but I thought I was.  Turned out I could boot to the live CD, find the info, follow it, then been good again - but that might not always be the case.  Hence even on Linux - Follow a solid backup procedure!!!

Renegade:
Y'know... It just occurred to me... I never hear about breakage on Linux upgrades...  :o
-Renegade (July 24, 2011, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm...it happens. It was the reason why I removed Ubuntu from my system and went for a fresh install. Too much broken stuff. Every upgrade broke more.
-app103 (July 24, 2011, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe as steeladept points out, it's just that Linux users are better equipped to deal with it, and don't make such a big deal out of a few breaks here and there.

I suppose that when you pay a large premium for something like a Mac, you just expect more, and hence, have a higher disappointment factor when things go wrong. Unless you're a fanboi, and can find the silver lining in the burning ruins. :P

Carol Haynes:
OMG! A new version of an operating system doesn't have complete support for partially outdated software! I have never saw that issue in any other system.
-Lashiec (July 24, 2011, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough if it was outdated software.

Breaking the recent/current versions of the incredibly expensive premier applications on your platform is just plain stupid. Their biggest market in the workplace is professional audio and image/design. Why the heck would they not ensure that a new OS at least works with those apps.

At worst Apple should have liaised with Adobe to make sure a patch was ready for Creative Suite 5.5 (the current version) BEFORE they release a new OS in the wild - or clearly label it a beta version. (From past experience everyone should know that Apple only ever seem to test new operating systems on the latest hardware in their development centre and every release turns out to be a fairly bug ridden beta until the kinks get ironed out - even worse than Windows which at least has extended free public betas and release candidates of all its products).

Releasing an OS that is guaranteed to annoy your corporate users is just plain stupid - and worse stupidly arrogant.

"Apple - It Just Works" - as I said stupidly arrogant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version