ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mac OS Lion opinions

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
Well I didn't want to turn this into an anti-apple rant thread ;) but while you brought up backwards compatibility this quote from the article I linked seems extraordinary to me-

The day of arrival was never a disappointment. The drama of it all – breaking open the wholly unnecessary white box, wasting half a day on the installation, playing with animated onscreen bits that pop up or slide about, copying files from drive to drive simply to watch the new progress bars – was worth the trouble of half my old software not working properly any more.-http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/22/review_apple_mac_os_x_lion/
--- End quote ---

This is why Apple will never move into the corporate world, businesses need an OS which can run applications from 10 years ago, if not 15 years. But I digress, of course with Macs "everything just works".

Renegade:
Well I didn't want to turn this into an anti-apple rant thread ;) but while you brought up backwards compatibility this quote from the article I linked seems extraordinary to me-
-Eóin (July 24, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's kind of hard not to rant a little bit when they consistently miss some major things, like backwards compatibility. (I think you're right about it being hard for Apple to ever make it into the Enterprise market.) (I'm not trying to be anti-Apple here -- but they kind of ask for it with stunts like this.)

For anyone that's ever used different SDKs/APIs, you invariably come across something like:

MethodName  - blah blah
MethodName2 - blah blah

It might not be the prettiest way to keep things backward compatible, but it works. And it's not that difficult a concept to grasp. Except if you're in Cupertino. :P

Right now my Mac is only used for browser testing, so I have no motivation to upgrade the OS.

I remember when Vista was in beta - I had a few people email me about my software UI breaking. I replied that Vista was still early beta, and that those sorts of things happen. When it reached RTM, well, lo and behold, all those problems went away and it worked perfectly with zero code changes. (Quite a few of my customers are developers.)

Mind you, all that backwards compatibility in the Windows world comes at a price. Macs have it better there because they simply drop support for some things and move on without that baggage. Good and bad there. Basically, it comes down to whether or not you're willing to accept having everything break completely with a major upgrade, or whether you want to endure small, occasional hiccups. Neither is particularly pleasant.

I've heard good things about Windows 8. I kind of wonder if there will be any breakage there though. I rather doubt it, but we'll see.

Deozaan:
this quote from the article I linked seems extraordinary to me-

The day of arrival was never a disappointment. The drama of it all – breaking open the wholly unnecessary white box, wasting half a day on the installation, playing with animated onscreen bits that pop up or slide about, copying files from drive to drive simply to watch the new progress bars – was worth the trouble of half my old software not working properly any more.-http://www.reghardware.com/2011/07/22/review_apple_mac_os_x_lion/
--- End quote ---
-Eóin (July 24, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

:o :huh:

Renegade:
Y'know... It just occurred to me... I never hear about breakage on Linux upgrades...  :o

Carol Haynes:
There are 2 words that never occur in the same sentence in Cupertino: backward compatibility.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/236419/adobe_software_breaks_down_on_mac_os_x_lion.html

Known issues in Lion affect Adobe software such as Acrobat, Adobe Drive, Contribute, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Builder, Flash Catalyst, Flash Player, Lightroom, LiveCycle, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
--- End quote ---

I wonder if Apple is purposefully trying to sabotage Adobe...

Adobe doesn't suggest any deliberate attempt by Apple to cripple Adobe products on Lion
--- End quote ---

But I'm sure a lot of people are thinking the same thing.

I won't be upgrading for a while. Once I start Mac development again, then I'll look at it. However, for now, it just doesn't make sense.
-Renegade (July 24, 2011, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Beats me why Adobe don't simply tell Apple to sort out the compatibility issues or they will withdraw from producing future Adobe products for the Mac and start porting to Linux. Now that would certainly provoke a response - especially after the mobile Flash debacle!

Strikes me Apple need Adobe far more than Adobe need Apple given that Adobe produce one of the main software ranges used by the majority of corporate Apple products.

Interestingly it also seems to be affecting third party audio studio products too - now if they joined forces with Adobe there could be some serious fireworks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version