ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are good sunglasses (brands)?

<< < (5/5)

Stoic Joker:
Any of the optical shops in your area should have a fair selection of decent frames. I've also seen some quality eyeglass frames at flea-markets - Usually from an optical shop that was dumping old stock (which a friend of mine does). They're brand new, top dollar, high quality, frames that just sat on the display shelf too long without selling.

Note: An eyeglass frame that you would typically pay $300 for, actually only cost the store about $10 to put it on the shelf. The markup is astronomical because they have to sit on so many frames hoping that somebody will like one well enough to buy it.

Deozaan:
(OTOH) Contacts may be a better option if you can handle sticking something in your eye (I can't).-Stoic Joker (July 21, 2011, 06:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wore contacts for years until suddenly I started getting constant/frequent "eye boogers" and the optometrist recommended I start wearing glasses instead.

The eye boogers were bad. In the morning I'd wake up and my eyelids would be "sealed" shut because the goop had hardened in my eyelashes along the whole length of my eyelids and I'd have to spend a minute or two pulling the crusty stuff off before I could open my eyes. And all day long I was constantly digging the "sand" out of my tear ducts. It just would not stop forming when I had contacts in.

So now I just dream about LASIK. :D

steeladept:
I know what you mean Deo.  I went for a complimentary LASIK exam to see if I was fit for it, though, and they were able to provide some sort of medicine that stopped the "eye boogers"  I had issues like yours, though not as frequently - and the doctor said the medicine would clear it up.  Unfortunately, I never got back to the contacts to verify that it did, because I couldn't afford them anymore (kids take all my money anymore :-\); but I can say I didn't even get the little "sleep seeds" that come even with glasses.  As for wrapping perscription lenses, I haven't seen or heard of any successful designs for that - it just doesn't seem to keep the focus needed where and when it is needed.  Other than that, I can agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.

As a side note, when I did wear contacts, the HomeDepot Safety glasses I got were great.  They wrap around well, are very lightweight, and generally comfortable.  I could even wear them with my motorcycle helmet on - something even my glasses have issues with.  That is particularly nice, because then I don't need to carry 2 visors with me wherever I go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version