ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are we allowed to avoid the "My Docs" mess in Win7?

<< < (5/5)

tosim:
Re: Mouser's quote: But.. and here's the key point.. I don't go near that directory with my own files.  I use my own custom MyDocs folder for any program data that *I* have control over.  So any program where i have a choice, and where I care about the data, I save to the MyDocs folder.  I've been doing exactly that-even using "MyDocs" almost from the time I started using a computer. In fact, as I'm using Linux Mint more and more, have done the same there.

rgdot:
This is one of the biggest annoyances, seriously it is. In downloading, testing and sometimes reviewing downloads the My Documents folder is one big mess. Some create non-descriptive folder names like 'output' and others don't even create folders and put everything right under My Documents.

MilesAhead:
Hmm, I should have thought of MyDocs a long time ago. I don't use My Downloads or My Videos or any of that. And it's really annoying when apps just stick the stuff there without asking.  It would be one thing if the stuff was consistent across OS versions but it seems they shift the stuff around with every major release.

I thought at first it might not be so bad. At least if the folder was Documents and videos were in Videos you might be able to double click down from Desktop and find stuff. No way. They stick the My prefix on so you have to wait 5 seconds for your eyes to focus and pick between My Documents My Videos and My Royal Pain In The Ass folders. :)

Right now I'm going to change the My Documents button in RocketDock to point to MyDocs folder!! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version