ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are we allowed to avoid the "My Docs" mess in Win7?

<< < (4/5) > >>

tomos:
I don't f*ck with where Windows (and other applications) wants to put and name the "My Documents" or "Documents" folder.  I leave it right where MS wants to put it.

But.. and here's the key point.. I don't go near that directory with my own files.  I use my own custom MyDocs folder for any program data that *I* have control over.  So any program where i have a choice, and where I care about the data, I save to the MyDocs folder.
-mouser (July 25, 2011, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well if I combine ^this approach with:

* adding the new personal folders to favourites in windows explorer
* customising the save-as dialogue and/or using a dialogue extender
I guess I'm sorted for everyday use.

~ Thanks Winkie for those links :up:

Winkie:
But.. and here's the key point.. I don't go near that directory with my own files.  I use my own custom MyDocs folder for any program data that *I* have control over.  So any program where i have a choice, and where I care about the data, I save to the MyDocs folder.

This has the great advantage of letting you easily distinguish the relatively small number documents that you actually work with and care about (which are in MyDocs), and those that are auto managed and you probably don't much care about, in the "My Documents" path.
--- End quote ---

+1

~ Thanks Winkie for those links :up:
-tomos (July 25, 2011, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
You're welcome. ;D

mouser:
customising the save-as dialogue and/or using a dialogue extender
--- End quote ---

yep, this is a must-have for this strategy.

rjbull:
What does Listary pro give you that Listary doesn't?  I see the comparison, but I don't really understand the missing features.-wraith808 (July 24, 2011, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Apologies for delayed reply.  Your query made me take another look at the comparison.  As I recall it, early versions of Listary restricted most of the dialog box extender features to the Pro version.  It looks like this has changed somewhat, and quite good ones are included in the free-for-personal-use version.  I'm still exploring the new features myself.  Select last opened file automatically means that when you reopen a File Open dialog, that last file will already be in the file box, same with last saved file.  Export list content to a CSV file means (obviously), make a directory listing.  But, given that Listary is free for personal use, and has a portable version as well as an install one, you might find it worth taking a look yourself...

shaunix:
My strategy for this is very simple.

I don't f*ck with where Windows (and other applications) wants to put and name the "My Documents" or "Documents" folder.  I leave it right where MS wants to put it.

This has the great advantage of letting you easily distinguish the relatively small number documents that you actually work with and care about (which are in MyDocs), and those that are auto managed and you probably don't much care about, in the "My Documents" path.
--- End quote ---

Yes very nice mouser I agree with you. Better to not f*ck with the Windows folders and make a set of your own on a separate partition. I think it's the best way.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version