ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are we allowed to avoid the "My Docs" mess in Win7?

<< < (2/5) > >>

rjbull:
[edit] then I'm back looking for a dialogue extender for save/open. Ah well, just what I'm used to... [/edit]
-tomos (July 24, 2011, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Listary works well for me on Vista, but you really need the payware version, $19.95 lifetime license, for a dialog box extender.

wraith808:
Thanks for the heads up on Listary.  What does Listary pro give you that Listary doesn't?  I see the comparison, but I don't really understand the missing features.

Renegade:
This topic is exactly why I don't use any of the default Windows folders. It's sad, but true. My documents are my documents, don't dump files or directories there without my asking!
-worstje (July 23, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's kind of hard to avoid though... I have the same thing going on. Some of those folders:

* Donation Coder

* Image-Line

* MAGIX

* MAGIX Downloads

* My HelpAndManual Projects

* My Kindle Content

* My Shapes

* My Web Sites

* Replay Telecorder

* Visual Studio 2005

* Visual Studio 2008

* Visual Studio 2010
A few others as well...

But WHERE else can you put them by default?

/users/login/AppData/Roaming/company/product isn't the kind of place that normal people would ever think to look. It's remote at best.

Allowing people to set a location for files is an advanced feature that many users simply wouldn't understand or care to bother with.

In general, I try to use the Roaming directory for most things, or the working folder, but I can't really think of anything else that "works" for most people by default other than to put it in the obvious "Documents" folder.

If you have any insight into what would work, I'm all ears. I just can't see any decent default alternatives.

tomos:
If you have any insight into what would work, I'm all ears. I just can't see any decent default alternatives.
-Renegade (July 24, 2011, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's really up to windows to allow users to customise the save/save-as/open dialogues.
=> Problem solved.

worstje:
...long list goes here...

A few others as well...

But WHERE else can you put them by default?

/users/login/AppData/Roaming/company/product isn't the kind of place that normal people would ever think to look. It's remote at best.

Allowing people to set a location for files is an advanced feature that many users simply wouldn't understand or care to bother with.

In general, I try to use the Roaming directory for most things, or the working folder, but I can't really think of anything else that "works" for most people by default other than to put it in the obvious "Documents" folder.

-Renegade (July 24, 2011, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

My point is that those directories should not be created in the first place. If you insist on setting the Save Dialog on my Documents folder by default, fine. Why put folders that are by default empty in there to clutter things up? If I have some sort of project I am working on, I'll usually use multiple programs. Should I be coaxed to save every program-specific file in a folder specific to that program followed by the project? No! Let me find my project and make a directory suitable for this new aspect, such as 'help', 'manual', 'icons', 'graphics', 'sounds', etc nd I'll dump this new programs files in there. Giving such default directories only wrongly potty-trains users to dump everything in their Documents\ProgramX directory.

Half the other folders will contain 'program information' that the user can do nothing with. They can't doubleclick it or anything. It's just junk to them. Saved games are a fair number of them.

Also, Windows 7 has a Saved Games directory. I'm not sure about Vista, but either way that's an improvement.

Someone should set up a Hall of Shame website that lists software that appropriates the Documents folder for its own uses. Or maybe a more general one with sub-sections for common UI annoyances. There are some Hall of Shame websites out there that are about computer programs, but many of them are from the W95 era. The web could do with a new one. :)

Btw, Raymond Chen hates these programs too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version