topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinPatrol PLUS: 50% off today at Bits du Jour  (Read 9559 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinPatrol PLUS: 50% off today at Bits du Jour
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:33 AM »
From the description: "WinPatrol PLUS provides an ironclad level of protection from unwanted system changes and malware installations. WinPatrol PLUS maintains constant vigilance over your computer, inspecting system resources, startup processes, background programs, browser toolbars and cookies with a critical eye."

I've used WinPatrol PLUS for many years.  It's one of the first programs I install on any new computer.  I'm under the impression that once you buy it, you have a lifetime license--certainly I've never paid for an upgrade in all the years I've used it.  The Bits du Jour offer can be found here:
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/winpatrol-plus/.  I think the offer is good only today, Saturday, July 23, 2011.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinPatrol PLUS: 50% off today at Bits du Jour
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I bought WinPatrol Plus during a previous promotion.  I stayed with that version for awhile because I'm not a fan of "the cloud."  But this post prompted me to check the latest update.  It has an option to opt out of supplying cloud stats.  Network traffic should only be incoming in that case.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has been holding off due to cloud cover. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:30 PM »
I get confused when I read all these "the first program I install on a new pc"-praises, because I will automatically ask (myself) if they don't have proper security programs. I believe that various security suites are promising to handle the exact same items that WP+ is handling, and then some. Or am I not seeing an important difference?

I too have a key for WP+, but don't have the progam installed. If you care to, please tell what good I can use WinPatrol+ for, when I already have Outpost Security Suite (and AnVir Task Manager Pro and Chameleon Startup Manager) running? I am not sure if I even can have them running at the same time.
 :tellme:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I don't run real-time av prophylactics.  Interferes too much with the operation of the machine.  I use utilities that I can turn on and off such as Sandboxie, WinPatrol etc..
Also I have multiple image backups, use restore points etc..

(I do occasional video encodes and most authors won't talk to you about a problem encoding if you even have av running while encoding. It's just too intrusive.)

As far as Plus vs. Free, since I got it on a big discount I figured I'd support the Author.  For what I use Free is just as good.  I mainly like that it notifies me of some installer sticking on a BHO or putting some auto start on that I didn't ask for.

The other main feature is I occasionally stick something in startup delay. Again it's in the free but I figured since I could support the author without forking out the whole enchilada I went for it. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:45 PM by MilesAhead »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18 PM »
I get confused when I read all these "the first program I install on a new pc"-praises, because I will automatically ask (myself) if they don't have proper security programs. I believe that various security suites are promising to handle the exact same items that WP+ is handling, and then some. Or am I not seeing an important difference?

Hi, Curt.  Please note that I said WinPatrol PLUS was ONE of the first programs I put on any computer, not THE first.  Indeed, the first programs I put on any computer are an anti-virus program and a firewall.  After that, WP PLUS and Malwarebytes Pro.   I use Malwarebytes Pro because it is designed to pick up baddies that many of the AV programs miss.  And WP PLUS too performs services that neither my AV nor my firewall offer or perform as well.

I too have a key for WP+, but don't have the progam installed. If you care to, please tell what good I can use WinPatrol+ for, when I already have Outpost Security Suite (and AnVir Task Manager Pro and Chameleon Startup Manager) running? I am not sure if I even can have them running at the same time.
 :tellme:
-Curt

MilesAhead has already noted two of the features I like about WP.  One is the warning it provides any time a program tries to put itself into the startup menu, or tries to add a service, a BHO, or whatever.  Sometimes I'm perfectly happy to let the program do so, but often I say NO, I don't want that, and WinPatrol will prevent it from doing so.  I'm astonished at the number of programs that put themselves into the startup menu without asking.  In the majority of cases, it's absolutely unnecessary that the program start when Windows does.  IIRC, AnVir Task Manager does this too, but I prefer WinPatrol.  Though there were things I liked about AnVir, I eventually stopped using it, in part because some of the assessments it offered about the safety of specific programs were way off base.

Also like MilesAhead, I have used WP to put things in the delayed start menu.  I know that there are other ways to do this, but WP makes it very easy and provides a good deal of flexibility about how much of a delay there should be.

Another thing that I like about WinPatrol PLUS is that if I see a program or service that I don't know running on my machine, I can seek information about it by clicking on WP's PLUS button.  Sometimes the program is not in WP's database, but often it is, and WP will tell me what the program is, what it does, whether it's needed, whether it's safe to leave on the computer, etc.  I think the PLUS version offers considerably more extensive information than the free version.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:56 PM by cyberdiva »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:50 PM »
cyberdiva
I'm astonished at the number of programs that put themselves into the startup menu without asking.  In the majority of cases, it's absolutely unnecessary that the program start when Windows does.

I remember for awhile it was the fad to try to stick an "agent" in the start up so that when you ran the associated program it snapped up.  Since the core was already running in the tray it made it seem more responsive, at the expense of every other app on the machine.  A few still try to pull this trick.  Lame way to "optimize" your program's start up speed.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Hi Folks,

If my 17.x did not upgrade to 20.5 nicely (maybe I have a lifetime license, courtesy of Bill P) I would have immediately upgraded on the special.

There are some startup organizers that are prettier, and you might end up with two.  However for security consciousness and care (checking all bases) WinPatrol is easily the best. 

And I think the Plus version might have more real-time control, which lessens the possibility of an new startup entry with a forced reboot that could get around a slow time-paging warning, and then try to do some damage on the startup.

Anyway, WinPatrol is A-1 for any layered security system, with the type of stuff mentioned in the posts above.  Nobody else handles the startup issues in anywhere near as strong a manner.

If you just want to view the startup entries, and do some moving around and changing, probably Chameleon Startup Manager or Startup Organizer of Metaproducts should also be considered. Also there are the techie Autoruns types of products.  However, whatever else you get, try to have WinPatrol Plus on your system.

Shalom,
Steven

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 10:05 PM »
If my 17.x did not upgrade to 20.5 nicely (maybe I have a lifetime license, courtesy of Bill P) I would have immediately upgraded on the special.
-Steven Avery (July 23, 2011, 09:32 PM)

Steven, I think that the PLUS version comes with a lifetime license.  I've upgraded WinPatrol PLUS many times over the years, and I've never been asked to pay anything for the upgrades.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Yep. Thus another Plus plus.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:37 PM »
Thanks for the many answers on WinPatrol+   :up:

One more question, please; Does any of you KNOW if I can move my copy to a new machine without having to purchase a new license?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02 PM »
move my copy to a new machine without having to purchase a new license?
Yep, I did that before, and all it wants is the Plus code. It's a lifetime license after all :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07 PM »
move my copy to a new machine without having to purchase a new license?
Yep, I did that before, and all it wants is the Plus code. It's a lifetime license after all :up:

It's not only can move to another machine. It's as many PCs as you own personally.  Go to the site. I think you'll find I'm right.  Sandboxie has the same license if my memory serves.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36 AM »
vruf! vruf!

I don't know how to spell it in English but my computer keeps saying vruf! all the time. Turns out I had WinPatrol installed in May 2010, so it just wants to know if this, this, this, this and this change really is okay...

------

Regarding Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO ["Mb"]. cyberdiva said she is using Mb together with other security programs, and I was surprised, because Outpost specific tells me that I can only run 1 anti-malware at a time. But I see on Mb's homepage that the Mb features include: "Works Well With Others", so I was wondering if I really can run Malwarebytes together with Outpost Security Suite's anti-malware part? Of course I can tell Outpost to leave the anti-malware-job to Mb, but that is not what I mean. I mean, can they scan side-by-side?
Does any one know if this is possible?  :tellme:

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:06 PM by Curt, Reason: anti-personalizing »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Curt, I've never run the security suite, but for quite a while I did use the Outpost Pro firewall, and it co-existed very nicely with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro (MBAM).  I don't recall whether I had an option to have the firewall do the anti-malware part.  If I did, I'm sure I told it not to do so, since I already had MBAM and was very happy with it.

I recall that I had to put exclusions in my AV program so it wouldn't conflict with MBAM, and I may have put exclusions in MBAM to ignore the AV program.  I just don't remember.  I can say that I don't remember running into any problem with MBAM Pro and any firewall or AV program.

With my relatively new computer running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, I've decided to go with the built-in Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials, along with MBAM and WinPatrol PLUS.  Again, I've added some exclusions in MSE to ignore MBAM and vice versa.  So far, no problems (knock on wood, salt over my shoulder  :D ).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09 PM »
-thanks, cyberdiva
- and good luck and God's blessing with the relatively new, fine machine :-)

I have registered at MBAM's forum  and asked the same question there.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43 AM »
I was wondering if I really can run Malwarebytes together with Outpost Security Suite's anti-malware part?
I have registered at MBAM's forum  and asked the same question there.
-Curt

Considering that MBAM is what's called a passive anti-malware, it should not conflict with Outpost.
-one
I used OutPost Security Suite free for a bit and they worked just fine together.
-another
-MBAM forum
:up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:42 AM »
I've finally installed Winpatrol - the plus version - this week (bought it last year sometime!).

For startup items, the plus info has been very helpful :up:
One thing I cant find is a way to start a programme minimised. There is the workaround of adding it to the delayed startup items where you can modify parameters & set delay to zero.
Tom