ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

WinPatrol PLUS: 50% off today at Bits du Jour

(1/4) > >>

cyberdiva:
From the description: "WinPatrol PLUS provides an ironclad level of protection from unwanted system changes and malware installations. WinPatrol PLUS maintains constant vigilance over your computer, inspecting system resources, startup processes, background programs, browser toolbars and cookies with a critical eye."

I've used WinPatrol PLUS for many years.  It's one of the first programs I install on any new computer.  I'm under the impression that once you buy it, you have a lifetime license--certainly I've never paid for an upgrade in all the years I've used it.  The Bits du Jour offer can be found here:
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/winpatrol-plus/.  I think the offer is good only today, Saturday, July 23, 2011.

MilesAhead:
I bought WinPatrol Plus during a previous promotion.  I stayed with that version for awhile because I'm not a fan of "the cloud."  But this post prompted me to check the latest update.  It has an option to opt out of supplying cloud stats.  Network traffic should only be incoming in that case.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has been holding off due to cloud cover. :)

Curt:
I get confused when I read all these "the first program I install on a new pc"-praises, because I will automatically ask (myself) if they don't have proper security programs. I believe that various security suites are promising to handle the exact same items that WP+ is handling, and then some. Or am I not seeing an important difference?

I too have a key for WP+, but don't have the progam installed. If you care to, please tell what good I can use WinPatrol+ for, when I already have Outpost Security Suite (and AnVir Task Manager Pro and Chameleon Startup Manager) running? I am not sure if I even can have them running at the same time.
 :tellme:

MilesAhead:
I don't run real-time av prophylactics.  Interferes too much with the operation of the machine.  I use utilities that I can turn on and off such as Sandboxie, WinPatrol etc..
Also I have multiple image backups, use restore points etc..

(I do occasional video encodes and most authors won't talk to you about a problem encoding if you even have av running while encoding. It's just too intrusive.)

As far as Plus vs. Free, since I got it on a big discount I figured I'd support the Author.  For what I use Free is just as good.  I mainly like that it notifies me of some installer sticking on a BHO or putting some auto start on that I didn't ask for.

The other main feature is I occasionally stick something in startup delay. Again it's in the free but I figured since I could support the author without forking out the whole enchilada I went for it. :)

cyberdiva:
I get confused when I read all these "the first program I install on a new pc"-praises, because I will automatically ask (myself) if they don't have proper security programs. I believe that various security suites are promising to handle the exact same items that WP+ is handling, and then some. Or am I not seeing an important difference?
-Curt (July 23, 2011, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi, Curt.  Please note that I said WinPatrol PLUS was ONE of the first programs I put on any computer, not THE first.  Indeed, the first programs I put on any computer are an anti-virus program and a firewall.  After that, WP PLUS and Malwarebytes Pro.   I use Malwarebytes Pro because it is designed to pick up baddies that many of the AV programs miss.  And WP PLUS too performs services that neither my AV nor my firewall offer or perform as well.

I too have a key for WP+, but don't have the progam installed. If you care to, please tell what good I can use WinPatrol+ for, when I already have Outpost Security Suite (and AnVir Task Manager Pro and Chameleon Startup Manager) running? I am not sure if I even can have them running at the same time.
 :tellme:
-Curt
--- End quote ---

MilesAhead has already noted two of the features I like about WP.  One is the warning it provides any time a program tries to put itself into the startup menu, or tries to add a service, a BHO, or whatever.  Sometimes I'm perfectly happy to let the program do so, but often I say NO, I don't want that, and WinPatrol will prevent it from doing so.  I'm astonished at the number of programs that put themselves into the startup menu without asking.  In the majority of cases, it's absolutely unnecessary that the program start when Windows does.  IIRC, AnVir Task Manager does this too, but I prefer WinPatrol.  Though there were things I liked about AnVir, I eventually stopped using it, in part because some of the assessments it offered about the safety of specific programs were way off base.

Also like MilesAhead, I have used WP to put things in the delayed start menu.  I know that there are other ways to do this, but WP makes it very easy and provides a good deal of flexibility about how much of a delay there should be.

Another thing that I like about WinPatrol PLUS is that if I see a program or service that I don't know running on my machine, I can seek information about it by clicking on WP's PLUS button.  Sometimes the program is not in WP's database, but often it is, and WP will tell me what the program is, what it does, whether it's needed, whether it's safe to leave on the computer, etc.  I think the PLUS version offers considerably more extensive information than the free version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version