ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PHP... is the name self-realizing?

<< < (4/5) > >>

kyrathaba:
CT,

For what it's worth, PHP can be used with the Azure Framework.

CodeTRUCKER:
CT,

For what it's worth, PHP can be used with the Azure Framework.
-kyrathaba (July 25, 2011, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll look into it.  One thing I could use some guidance on is if it's better to begin learning PHP "in the raw" and move to a framework later or to start in a framework which has an emphasis on "getting started" (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, etc.)?

Also, is the "framework" for PHP the same thing as an "IDE" in another language or am I missing a basic(?) concept here?

f0dder:
Also, is the "framework" for PHP the same thing as an "IDE" in another language or am I missing a basic(?) concept here?-CodeTRUCKER (July 25, 2011, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
No.

An IDE is your "text editor on steroids with project management and whatnot", framework is "all the library code on steroids" :) (a 'library' is pre-written code you can call; a 'framework' is something you adapt your code to, in exchange of standardized layout and rapid development speed.)

CodeTRUCKER:
An IDE is your "text editor on steroids with project management and whatnot", framework is "all the library code on steroids" :) (a 'library' is pre-written code you can call; a 'framework' is something you adapt your code to, in exchange of standardized layout and rapid development speed.)
-f0dder (July 25, 2011, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Man, now it's clear.  :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba:
One thing I could use some guidance on is if it's better to begin learning PHP "in the raw" and move to a framework later or to start in a framework which has an emphasis on "getting started" (CakePHP, CodeIgniter, etc.)?
--- End quote ---

I would recommend you start with basic PHP.  It's use is ubiquitous and, like .NET, there are plentiful code samples online; also like with .NET, many of those code samples suck ;)  But seriously, PHP-usage is extremely broad, and if you get proficient at it, it's applications are equally broad.  You can always narrow you focus to a specific platform later, but even those (Azure, etc.) are built up from a basic web-programming language.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version