ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PHP... is the name self-realizing?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Renegade:
To me, PHP seems to be a solid and capable language, but it also seems to suffer from many of the disadvantages of Perl (fugly in the extreme).

I'd like to get started on doing more with PHP though. My main thing would be to get a plugin to make it more friendly in Visual Studio. I'm just addicted to the way Visual Studio makes things so much easier. I really don't care about focusing on the code so much, as I'm more interested in getting things done. VS makes that so much nicer. Type. Compile. Run debug. Find errors/debug. Fix. Move on to next step. If I could get that with PHP, wow... I'd be a happy camper. :)

CodeTRUCKER:
... If I could get that with PHP, wow... I'd be a happy camper. :)
-Renegade (July 23, 2011, 12:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then I take it "if" means there is no such animal, eh?

mahesh2k:
My 2 cents on web dev langs.

* Java - too much clutter with frameworks and hosting is expensive too.
* ASP.Net - It's hard to find linux host with asp.net support and most of the time you're stuck with windows hosting. It's quick for development but problem is again with hosting and finding clients. My experience with asp.net sites (corporate) erm they're damn slow.
* Php- works with eclipse, php designer, notepad (or with any text editor). Works on cheap linux or windows hosting with postgresql and mysql or any other online db. Many frameworks to waste time and plenty of projects and clients to get from any random freelancing site.
There is ruby and python to experiment if you want but expect steep learning curve while deploying them on server. Cpanel based hosts are not friendly for python and have complicated instructions for deploying ruby on rails projects..

Renegade:
Works on cheap linux or windows hosting with postgresql and mysql or any other online db.
-mahesh2k (July 23, 2011, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would qualify that as "Sometimes works on cheap windows..."

The first thing to know when you try to configure PHP on Windows is that you need to go through the PHP extensions and add them in one-by-one so you know which ones break everything. It's not like they just throw an error and die -- they kill PHP completely. No such thing as graceful errors... It's kind of like that hard-core psycho in the movies - if I die, then everyone else is gonna die with me~! :P

The next thing to know is that most of the coolest and most useful extensions for PHP are the ones that break on Windows... :(

PHP on Windows is finicky at best. I wouldn't ever want to use a Windows server for a serious PHP site. Or at least not a WIMP server. Maybe WAMP is better. Haven't tried WAMP there. (Though I've wanted to for some time now... Previously I've read that it's simply a beast to setup. Maybe things are better now.)

kyrathaba:
(fugly in the extreme).
--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version