ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PHP... is the name self-realizing?

<< < (2/5) > >>

mwb1100:
I recently read these words and it struck me odd.  If the "P" in "PHP" stands for "PHP" what does the "P," "H" and "P" stand for in the first "P" in "PHP?"
-CodeTRUCKER (July 22, 2011, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Programmers seem to like these clever 'recursive' acronyms.  The earliest one that I know of off the top of my head is "GNU" which stands for "GNU's Not Unix", and that was the intended meaning right from the start in 1983.

But, since programmers (especially the early ones) often have a mathematical bent,  I'm sure there are several examples earlier than that I'm just not aware of.  Well, now I know some because I just Googled about these things.

Another example is Wine: "Wine Is Not an Emulator", but the acronym started off meaning "WINdows Emulator"

But like worstje said, the recursive meaning was devised after the fact - a not uncommon activity with it's own name: "backronym".

Stoic Joker:
PHP, which stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor"-CodeTRUCKER (July 22, 2011, 03:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have gone forth, googled, and seen thus as you say ... But it is just by far and wide to absurd to accept. I shall therefore, take it upon myself to makeup an entirely new word. So I may henceforth insist that that is indeed its true meaning.

PHP: Pugnullfific Hypertext Preprocessor.

While pugnullfific has no specific meaning it is incredibly fun to say...Yes, I have been drinking.

f0dder:
Yep, I'm all I've got, but I would still like to hear what would be your first choices, if PHP isn't?  I'm going to have to learn whatever syntax I use because I have never done more than basic HTML, so I'll be doing a "helloworld.[fill-in-the-blank]" before I do anything else as far as coding.  Go ahead... clue me in!-CodeTRUCKER (July 22, 2011, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
To be honest, I don't know enough about web frameworks to choose The One To Rule Them All - and that would probably depend on the phase of the moon. Look at what your client uses currently - don't choose JUST that, but base your decision on it. Easier said than done :)

Some current good choices seems to be Ruby On Rails, something based on Sling (Java), the Play! framework, CakePHP or Yii.

Anything but PHP will probably cost a lot in hosting, so you'll probably want something PHP based. The most important thing is choosing a frawework instead of hand-rolling everything - it will be a MAJOR learning curve, but unless you're dealing with a really trivially small site, it will pay off in the end.

If you go the PHP route, there's some things to keep in mind:
1) use your chosen framework for as much as possible, unless it doesn't make sense and make you feel cramped
2) NEVER, never EVER construct SQL queries using string concatenation (the PHP '.' operator). Use the capabilities of your framework, or at the very least Parameterized statements. Or die.
3) Be very careful around the standard library - especially when dealing with string or date functions. Those are two of the major PHP shortcomings, and are full of pitfalls. SEEK HELP! :)

Renegade:
But like worstje said, the recursive meaning was devised after the fact - a not uncommon activity with it's own name: "backronym".
-mwb1100 (July 22, 2011, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

My favorite backronym is actually wrong, though if you search for it, you'll get a tonne of results: SLAYER - Satan Laughs As You Eternally Rot.

kyrathaba:
CodeTRUCKER, while I agree with Fodder that a lot of the PHP code you run into is a mess, and that PHP itself has some pitfalls, I can testify that in a few days piddling with it I was able to hack up the code to run my primary NANY 2012 entry's web-based database.  So, it can be done.  I have to say, I don't like the language much, and the layout of the online help manual?  Meh...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version