ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PHP... is the name self-realizing?

(1/5) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
PHP, which stands for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor"

I recently read these words and it struck me odd.  If the "P" in "PHP" stands for "PHP" what does the "P," "H" and "P" stand for in the first "P" in "PHP?"

Reminds me of an ontological paradox, like the iconic "watch" in the movie, "Somewhere in Time."  

Just musing...

worstje:
Wikipedia has the answer:

While PHP originally stood for "Personal Home Page", it is now said to stand for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor", a recursive acronym.
--- End quote ---

CodeTRUCKER:
Wikipedia has the answer:

While PHP originally stood for "Personal Home Page", it is now said to stand for "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor", a recursive acronym.
--- End quote ---
-worstje (July 22, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that is the case then PHP actually stands for "Personal Home Page Hypertext Preprocessor."   :P

I almost tried to create a number of back references into the acronyms and names, but got lost in the recursive recursions.  ;D

f0dder:
PHP stands for "Puke, Heave, Pop a few valiums" - because that's the reaction you'll get when looking at a lot of PHP code out there ;)

Not everything is that bad, some programmers manage to build decent sites, and there's decent frameworks. But just like with VB, the majority you stumble into is... abysmal. And the standard library is a clusterfsck, and the core language have some oddities and issues here and there.

It's not my first choice if I was to start a web project, but if you're under budget constraints that means you have to pick a cheap host, you can still do good things with it. You need skilled non-hotshot developers though.

CodeTRUCKER:
f0dder - I can always depend on a practical perspective when I read your comments.  :Thmbsup:

Well, when it comes to the development team... you're *looking* at it, er him. 

Yep, I'm all I've got, but I would still like to hear what would be your first choices, if PHP isn't?  I'm going to have to learn whatever syntax I use because I have never done more than basic HTML, so I'll be doing a "helloworld.[fill-in-the-blank]" before I do anything else as far as coding.  Go ahead... clue me in!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version