topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 010 Editor (hex editor) discounted today at bitsdujour.com  (Read 11904 times)

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Home/Academic license is $19.95. Commercial is $49.95

Normal prices are:
$49.95 US (Home/Academic Use) $129.95 US (Commercial Use)

Any users here who can comment on the capabilities of it?
Is there anything else that has a similar feature set?
Not much time for decent research before the deal runs out.
Thanks

The terms of the license seem generous
010 Editor is currently licensed per user, not per machine. This means that if you purchase 010 Editor, you can install it on multiple machines as long as it is just you using the software. If other people are using the software too, a multi-user license must be purchased.

Except that Am I a commercial user or a home/academic user?
This is particularly irksome.
If I buy a license (in my personal capacity) to use at work, I will have to pay the commercial price.

On sale here: bitsdujour.com
Product web site: sweetscape.com

chrisa52

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 010 Editor (hex editor) discounted today at bitsdujour.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:59 PM »
The two features that stand out are 1) the hex editor and the 2) templates.

I work with barcode (1D & 2D) and I use it to check out field separators sent in an ANSI defined 2D barcode spec. The Hex option makes it easy to 'debug' text strings parsed from the barcode.

Also, anyone working with driving, say printers, or other devices that require specific control characters, the hex mode option is really useful.
It's Later Than You Think.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:25 PM »
If I buy a license (in my personal capacity) to use at work, I will have to pay the commercial price.

And what if your primary use is for home... but it's useful for one thing that comes up later for work?  That is pretty irksome.  I suppose they are trying to not be taken advantage of, but I personally don't think that's the way to do it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:57 PM »
And what if your primary use is for home... but it's useful for one thing that comes up later for work?  That is pretty irksome.  I suppose they are trying to not be taken advantage of, but I personally don't think that's the way to do it.
Get your job to cash out for a pro license? It's not a lot of cash if it means productivity boost.
- carpe noctem

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:17 PM »
And what if your primary use is for home... but it's useful for one thing that comes up later for work?

If that's the true scenario, I personally wouldn't sweat it - I'd just go for the home license (but then again I'm not the publisher).  This is a level of infraction that's on par with eating a few grapes while you're going through the grocery store on your weekly shop.  Heck, my mom did that when I was a kid (for all I know, she still does) - and no one's going to tell me that I should turn her in!

But since I suspect that I'd use the software more then once or twice at work (and note that I'm talking about *me* - I'm not trying to imply that's what you'd be doing), even if I might be planning on using it primarily at home, I'd purchase the commercial license - if I were going to purchase.

Once that decision point is out of the way, all that would be left for me to decide is if 010 Editor is worth $50.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:10 PM by mwb1100 »

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Get your job to cash out for a pro license? It's not a lot of cash if it means productivity boost.
One could wait for a long time for that to happen (if ever) in a large company.
Besides, my usage is theoretical at this point but I can see a lot of potential.
I'm seriously tempted though ...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:30 PM »

It's the principle of the thing, not the cash.  And while it's true that you could very well just not worry about that provision of the license... again, it's the principle.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21 AM »
010 editor is at BDJ again today for $49.95 (Commercial)/$19.95(Home/Academic).

010 Editor is designed primarily to be a hex/binary editor, but it handles text well too. For serious editing, it does not have the features I depend on in Kedit and EditPad Pro, but it is far more capable than Notepad and loads much faster than EditPad. Because it integrates nicely in the right-click menu for Explorer and can read any type of file, it has become my goto editor when I just want to look at a file or make some simple text edits.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Once again, 010 editor is at BDJ today for $49.95 (Commercial)/$19.95(Home/Academic).

Version 5, introduced last year, has many new features, including syntax highlighting, column mode and customizable toolbars and menus, that make it more competitive with regular text editors, while retaining its unique binary editing capabilities.

It is also now available for Linux.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:27 AM »
This is back on BDJ today - Jan 22, 2015.

Version 6 has added 64 bit executables and regex searches, among other things.

While not my working text editor (I still use Kedit and EditPad Pro for that, depending on what I am doing), this remains my everyday go-to tool for quickly examining and/or editing ANY kind of file from an explorer right click.

Runs on Windows, Mac & Linux (Ubuntu) and a single user license is good for all your computers and operating systems.

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25 AM »
"While not my working text editor (I still use Kedit and EditPad Pro for that, depending on what I am doing), this remains my everyday go-to tool for quickly examining and/or editing ANY kind of file from an explorer right click."

I don't understand the idea behind it; could you please comment about it?

Background:
- I have got (several, I think, but at least one editor doing hex (and regex, too) emEditor, which does the same (?) upon hex files than does 010, the premier prob being that you can NOT edit text in hex files and then assume the file isn't broken, or more clearly, if you try with 010, you'll break your files, as you would do with any other regular text editor doing hex additionally.
- So what's the special interest in using 010 for hex files (let alone for text files)? In other words, if there is some trick 010 DOES do, I'd be very willing to buy it for that, but currently, I don't see this usp of a special-hex editor in general and/or of 010 in particular.
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:42 AM »
If you know what you are doing, it is perfectly possible to use most any hex editor to edit text in certain files without "breaking" them.  For example, I have modified unencrypted messages in programs I used to distribute but which could no longer be compiled from source for various reasons.

010 is not unique in being able to do that, and much of its functionality is available in various other tools.  What it offers is convenience - a single program with which I can examine and, when appropriate, edit the contents of any file, text or otherwise, from an explorer right click. It can even edit disk file systems and in-memory processes directly.  One of the nicest features is templates which decode the header structures of many types of files.  The developer provides a library of these for commonly used file types (zip, pdf, exe, dll, etc.), but you can write your own.

Of course, as with any power tool, it's up to the user to be careful when using it.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 07:31 PM »
For example, I have modified unencrypted messages in programs I used to distribute but which could no longer be compiled from source for various reasons.

I've done the same thing, plus fix some stupid hard coded design/programming choices in a few progs, although I typically use HxD for that purpose. The template thing is an interesting idea, though... I will have to take a look!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 06:44 AM »
Thank you, xtabber, for your very informative post!

So 010 seems to be somewhat superior indeed for people who know exactly what they do (which is difficult when it comes to binary files since e.g. if you search the web for something like "how to edit binary text files in a hex editor without breaking them", you will not get any relevant hits. (From my experience, when you try to replace n characters with n plus x or n minus x chars, it's already broken, even if x is quite small.) The header thing seems interesting, and the running processes thing, too. As for the easy right-click opening-as-binary of (not-running) files, emEditor can do that, too, but it's true, emEditor's "life" licence has become somewhat "expensive", the double quotes being there bec/of 150 bucks being regular price for some other editors just for their current version (which in some cases is not even developed further anymore), so this puts that price into a more favorable perspective, whilst on the other side, most current editors are not priced in that range anymore though.

On a personal note, I own some quite expensive, "programmable"/scriptable editors and did quite some stuff on texts within them, incl. multiple buffers (i.e. files just in memory, not on screen, too), and it was LOTS OF scripting then, bec/I stupidly avoided regex then. Since I've become quite "fluent" with AHK scripting, I finally delved into regex, and I very quickly discovered that for elaborate text processing, 1) regex is the tool of your choice (in AHK: regexreplace is as important as is regexmatch, and this remark applies to any other regex implementation, too), 2) it's available directly both in many editors and programming languages, too, and 3) by the latter, there is no need to shift text bodies from your scripts into an editor to run scripts of the editor's own, then re-export the results, but you can do it all within your scripting or programming language, within both clipboard and multiple variables (instead of the above-mentioned editor-created buffers), onto which you run (mostly) regex commands... and finally 4) that scripting making use of regex will ease and shorten up your necessary scripting to an incredible degree. Oh, and yes, there is a 5) : Special tools, applying regex internally, and presenting some text manipulation gui to the user (TextPipe et al., and then PowerGrep, as the premier representatives of this kind of sw), seem to add nothing to what your own scripting could do in a much more easy way: on the contrary, just as your try (= mine, some time ago) to include some text editor processing into your automated workflow, they just add unnecessary complications (and ain't that cheap, but that's no consideration here). To complete this OT: There is one good idea though that can be retrieved both from TextPipe and PowerGrep: Don't try to complicate your regexes beyond all measure, in order to prove to yourself how smart you are, but be humble and just do 3 or 4 regexes in a row for what you know some expert could have done in just 1 of them: The result is as good as with the 1-regex alternative, with both writing and debugging time minized.

Ok, enough said OT for the rather limited utility of text editors for text processing (= not: text / code creation), it seems 010 (over at bits or full price) is the buy of choice for people needing to work upon binary files (and knowing about them more than I do). ( Well, my original idea was, if you hamper with running processed, you'll very probably get a blue screen - well, let's say you should probably not try to work upon running core Win processes. ;-) )
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.