ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

010 Editor (hex editor) discounted today at bitsdujour.com

(1/3) > >>

NigelH:
Home/Academic license is $19.95. Commercial is $49.95

Normal prices are: $49.95 US (Home/Academic Use) $129.95 US (Commercial Use)
--- End quote ---

Any users here who can comment on the capabilities of it?
Is there anything else that has a similar feature set?
Not much time for decent research before the deal runs out.
Thanks

The terms of the license seem generous
010 Editor is currently licensed per user, not per machine. This means that if you purchase 010 Editor, you can install it on multiple machines as long as it is just you using the software. If other people are using the software too, a multi-user license must be purchased.
--- End quote ---

Except that Am I a commercial user or a home/academic user?
This is particularly irksome.
If I buy a license (in my personal capacity) to use at work, I will have to pay the commercial price.

On sale here: bitsdujour.com
Product web site: sweetscape.com

chrisa52:
The two features that stand out are 1) the hex editor and the 2) templates.

I work with barcode (1D & 2D) and I use it to check out field separators sent in an ANSI defined 2D barcode spec. The Hex option makes it easy to 'debug' text strings parsed from the barcode.

Also, anyone working with driving, say printers, or other devices that require specific control characters, the hex mode option is really useful.

wraith808:
If I buy a license (in my personal capacity) to use at work, I will have to pay the commercial price.
-NigelH (July 22, 2011, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

And what if your primary use is for home... but it's useful for one thing that comes up later for work?  That is pretty irksome.  I suppose they are trying to not be taken advantage of, but I personally don't think that's the way to do it.

f0dder:
-NigelH (July 22, 2011, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
And what if your primary use is for home... but it's useful for one thing that comes up later for work?  That is pretty irksome.  I suppose they are trying to not be taken advantage of, but I personally don't think that's the way to do it.
-wraith808 (July 22, 2011, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Get your job to cash out for a pro license? It's not a lot of cash if it means productivity boost.

mwb1100:
And what if your primary use is for home... but it's useful for one thing that comes up later for work?
-wraith808 (July 22, 2011, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

If that's the true scenario, I personally wouldn't sweat it - I'd just go for the home license (but then again I'm not the publisher).  This is a level of infraction that's on par with eating a few grapes while you're going through the grocery store on your weekly shop.  Heck, my mom did that when I was a kid (for all I know, she still does) - and no one's going to tell me that I should turn her in!

But since I suspect that I'd use the software more then once or twice at work (and note that I'm talking about *me* - I'm not trying to imply that's what you'd be doing), even if I might be planning on using it primarily at home, I'd purchase the commercial license - if I were going to purchase.

Once that decision point is out of the way, all that would be left for me to decide is if 010 Editor is worth $50.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version