ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yet Another Help-Me-Build-a-New-Computer Thread

<< < (8/9) > >>

wraith808:
I'll definitely be getting a better discrete GPU, but I think the integrated one will suit me just fine for at least a few months.
-Deozaan (July 24, 2011, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Be on the lookout at that GPU.  It seems to have rebates/sales more often than others, at least in my experience following the prices for a few months.  That was one of the reasons that I bought it; my final price on it was $120 after sales/rebates.

4wd:
I was a little worried about the case and how noisy it is. Can you tell me if it was especially noisy or quiet? Or was it just average? I guess that may depend on what other parts your friend has inside, but I'd still like to know.-Deozaan (July 23, 2011, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

The case was quiet: 5 HDDs, AMD 555 with stock HSF, Radeon 5850, DVD-R/W and Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, (IIRC).  (He's since gone to an AMD x6 1100 and ATI 6870.)

How were you carrying it?  I carry it by my side, using one handle or the other (not both), and it works quite well.-wraith808 (July 23, 2011, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Carrying it via the central handle, (not the rails on the side), the handle 'works' well - very strong - but the rectangular profile of it is uncomfortable in your hand.  The corners of the profile cut into your palm/fingers because it only has about a 3-4mm, (if that), radius on the edges.

It would have been much better if they had used a more rounded stock profile or used a greater radius on the edges - ie. made the profile more ergonomic.

Bear in mind, you only have 2 HDDs, add another 3 or 4 and that's another 1.5-2kg cutting into your hand.  My friend is a dedicated gamer and is constantly carrying it around to friends' homes or LAN nights - the handle is the only bad thing he has to say about the case, (apart from the colour of the LEDs - he likes blue).

wraith808:
Carrying it via the central handle, (not the rails on the side), the handle 'works' well - very strong - but the rectangular profile of it is uncomfortable in your hand.  The corners of the profile cut into your palm/fingers because it only has about a 3-4mm, (if that), radius on the edges.
-4wd (July 25, 2011, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Our definition of handle (I see that you classified the sides as 'rails') differs.  Using the center seems counter-intuitive, as you have to turn your hand to a weird angle to even use it.  To each his own, I guess, but I use the side handles depending on which side I'm carrying it on, and I don't have the problems that you enumerate.
* wraith808 shrugs

Deozaan:
I'm glad you two had this discussion. I don't think I would have even considered holding the case by the "side rails." But now I'll know to do exactly that. Or at least give it a try. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
Carrying it via the central handle, (not the rails on the side), the handle 'works' well - very strong - but the rectangular profile of it is uncomfortable in your hand.  The corners of the profile cut into your palm/fingers because it only has about a 3-4mm, (if that), radius on the edges.
-4wd (July 25, 2011, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Our definition of handle (I see that you classified the sides as 'rails') differs.  Using the center seems counter-intuitive, as you have to turn your hand to a weird angle to even use it.-wraith808 (July 25, 2011, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Our knuckle-dragging primate ancestors would dispute that* :D

Not a weird angle at all - the hold is the same most people use to climb a ladder.

To each his own, I guess, but I use the side handles depending on which side I'm carrying it on, and I don't have the problems that you enumerate.
--- End quote ---

The profile of the side rails is the same as the handle so it wouldn't make any difference.

I would prefer to carry it at the point where the load is evenly distributed amongst the mounting points rather than cause unnecessary stress on just two of them.

* Now there's an opening ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version