ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yet Another Help-Me-Build-a-New-Computer Thread

<< < (6/9) > >>

Deozaan:
Okay I just placed the order:

Case: $90 for COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP.
PSU: $120 for LEPA G500-MA 500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified Modular.
MOBO: $155 for MSI Z68A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX.
CPU: $315 for Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core.
RAM: $61 for CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).

With a $25 NewEgg gift card, that came to a total of about $716 (and $50 of that will be "refunded" with mail-in-rebates).

Yep, that's right. No GPU. After looking into the Z68 mobo and realizing that the CPU-integrated-GPU would be an upgrade from my current GPU, and also that I can use my current GPU in the new system, I decided to forego a new, expensive GPU for now.

This will give me a desperately needed new PC soon while still allowing me to save up for and decide on other important parts like the discrete GPU (in my opinion, the jury is still out on ATI vs nVidia), SSD, HDD(s), Optical drive, WiFi adapter, media card reader, UPS, more ram, HDD toaster dock, 70" HDTV, Ferrari, 60k ft2 mansion, and private jet.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, feedback and other contributions so far. I'll probably keep this thread going a bit with updates on how the initial build runs as well as ask more questions etc. once I am prepared to make the next order.

4wd:
Yep, that's right. No GPU. After looking into the Z68 mobo and realizing that the CPU-integrated-GPU would be an upgrade from my current GPU, and also that I can use my current GPU in the new system, I decided to forego a new, expensive GPU for now.-Deozaan (July 23, 2011, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wait.....you're saying that the Intel integrated GPU is an upgrade from you're current GPU?

Dumb question, but what is your current GPU?

It would have to be something really old for Intel integrated to be better.

FWIW, I've used nVidia and ATI GPUs in the past and these days wouldn't consider using nVidia for the GPU or the chipset - they're drivers were crap compared to the stability I've had with ATI.

Deozaan:
Wait.....you're saying that the Intel integrated GPU is an upgrade from your current GPU?-4wd (July 23, 2011, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I think so. As I understand it, the CPU-integrated-GPU on these new 2nd Gen Core i5/7s are equivalent to Radeon HD 3000 series. Or am I misunderstanding that?

In either case, I've got a GeForce 8600 GTS. It's a decent card, not nearly as old as the machine itself since the original GPU melted and this was the replacement, but it is getting long in the tooth.

40hz:
Actually, that was a smart move. The onboard GPU+i7 combo is a decent choice. I've seen similar systems in action and the graphics were (to my eyes) quite nice.

You can always throw in a separate video card later on if you want more - if additional $$$ becomes available. In the meantime, the primary goal of getting something good, within the budget, (and more importantly) now has been achieved.

Keep us posted and maybe put up a picture or two? :Thmbsup:

4wd:
Wait.....you're saying that the Intel integrated GPU is an upgrade from your current GPU?-4wd (July 23, 2011, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I think so. As I understand it, the CPU-integrated-GPU on these new 2nd Gen Core i5/7s are equivalent to Radeon HD 3000 series. Or am I misunderstanding that?-Deozaan (July 23, 2011, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apologies, I mistook the integrated GPU for the previous GMA3000 Intel graphics.....having just had a look at it's specs it seems quite impressive compared to Intels' previous attempts.

But I'd still go for a Radeon 6850  :)

On another note, good choice with the case - I've been looking at getting the Scout for a while.  My friend has one, the LEDs are quite subdued and can all be turned off via one switch on the top panel.
The only bad thing I'd have to say about it is that the carry handle is not designed for human hands - its cross-section is equivalent to a piece steel rectangular tube and the corners dig into your hand.  You'll find it a lot more comfortable to wrap a bit a high-density foam, (1/8" thick), around it as I did with my friends.  But if you don't envision carrying it around, or only infrequently, then no problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version