ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?

<< < (9/15) > >>

tomos:
I've reread the thread an amn't fully clear about admin vs. user accounts.

The thing to keep in mind is that UAC 'dumbs down' your administrative account pretty much to the level of a Limited User Account - so by default, applications don't have a lot of control.
-f0dder (July 20, 2011, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

so is it okay securitywise to use UAC at highest setting with an admin account - or better to do it with a user account?

- newly installed Win7, all I need is one account, but if I make that one user, I presume I have to create an admin account as well (first).

Carol Haynes:
UAC effectively turns admin accounts into user accounts but with automatic prompts to elevated security when required.

Deozaan:
I guess you already figured this out, but I felt it could use repeating:

Just because your account is an administrator account doesn't mean every program you run is run with Administrator privileges.

For the problematic applications, you should still go into the compatibility settings and check the "Run this program as an Administrator" option. Then it will always give you a UAC prompt when it first runs, but shouldn't have any problems doing what it needs to do after that.

EDIT: I'm not sure how it took me ~15 minutes to write this tiny post, but Carol's post just above mine wasn't here before I wrote this. Naturally she said exactly what I was trying to say, but was more succinct. :Thmbsup:

EDIT2: Aha! I didn't notice that there were 2 pages to this thread. That explains why I didn't see Carol's post. :-[

tomos:
thanks Carol + Deo - I guess I'll stick with my admin account then, makes startup easier with just one account...

I guess you already figured this out, but I felt it could use repeating:

Just because your account is an administrator account doesn't mean every program you run is run with Administrator privileges.

For the problematic applications, you should still go into the compatibility settings and check the "Run this program as an Administrator" option. Then it will always give you a UAC prompt when it first runs, but shouldn't have any problems doing what it needs to do after that.

EDIT: I'm not sure how it took me ~15 minutes to write this tiny post, but Carol's post just above mine wasn't here before I wrote this. Naturally she said exactly what I was trying to say, but was more succinct. :Thmbsup:
-Deozaan (July 23, 2011, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
my emphasis
I know what you mean (succinct I am not) but your longer version helped the implications sink in fully.

EDIT2: Aha! I didn't notice that there were 2 pages to this thread. That explains why I didn't see Carol's post. :-[
--- End quote ---

. . . gotta find another excuse there Deo :p - you were answering my post [ I think :-[ ] which was already on page #2 :D

Deozaan:
--- End quote ---

. . . gotta find another excuse there Deo :p - you were answering my post [ I think :-[ ] which was already on page #2 :D
-tomos (July 24, 2011, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually I was just providing the general info to Cyberdiva, who at the beginning (first page) of the thread didn't seem to understand why UAC would prompt her for admin privileges (or why it would be necessary to use the "Always run as Administrator" option) when she was already using an Administrator account.

But it looks like you also just happened to be wondering the same thing. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version