ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?

<< < (8/15) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Even Dreamweaver CS4 is not compat with windows 7 64-bit (according to MS WIn7 compat list) but it is with 32 bit. It doesn't mention earlier versions except DW 8 which is not comap with Windows 7 at all and that is newer than MX2004 which isn't even mentioned.

See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Having said that I have CS 3 which seems to work on WIndows 7 Pro 64-bit (though I haven't used it much).

According to Adobe the only products tested to work correctly in Windows 7 are the CS3-CS5 products. And even then there are some issues with CS3. See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/508/cpsid_50853.html

Why not run an XP VM and run your Dreamweaver in there?

cyberdiva:
Why not run an XP VM and run your Dreamweaver in there?
-Carol Haynes (July 21, 2011, 05:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the suggestion, Carol, but I haven't found any serious problems running my version of Dreamweaver on Win 7 64-bit.  I expected to have problems with lots of programs, since I have some dating back to the 1990s.  But so far, I think the only thing I couldn't run was a program related to my Canon SD1000 camera that shows me what's on my camera's memory card and allows me to transfer the files I want to my hard drive.  But I can get all the information I need just by going to My Computer and looking at the listings for my camera's memory card.  So I don't see any compelling reason to install an XP VM.  I might add that I'd like to keep this computer as lean as possible (a challenge, since I'm a software nut  :) ).

f0dder:
It will not be compatible with Windows 7 because that didn't exist at the time of making MX2004. Since then we've had Dreamweaver CS, Dreamweaver CS2, Dreamweaver CS3, Dreamweaver CS4, Dreamweaver CS5.-justice (July 21, 2011, 03:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
A silly argument.

All it takes to be compatible with Win7 (and 64bit versions too) is pretty much sticking with application design guidelines that have been around since NT4. Sure, you won't be utilizing jumplists and libraries, but you'll be running without problems.

40hz:
I don't see any compelling reason to install an XP VM.  I might add that I'd like to keep this computer as lean as possible (a challenge, since I'm a software nut  :) ).
-cyberdiva (July 21, 2011, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe not an XP VM just for Dreamweaver. But you might want to consider installing something like the more versatile VirtualBox if you're a software nut. Why settle for just one OS when you can have several? That would allow you to set up virtually any host environment you want to test any software that catches your fancy. And without running the risk of screwing up your machine. Just let the clock toll midnight, so to speak, and your snazzy VM turns back into a pumpkin. No harm done - no matter what.

Lots to like.  8)

Stoic Joker:
Why settle for just one OS when you can have several? That would allow you to set up virtually any host environment you want to test any software that catches your fancy. And without running the risk of screwing up your machine.-40hz (July 21, 2011, 10:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

+111  :D

@f0dder - I saw that one coming (hehe). Here's one of my favorite examples Jasc Image Commander written in 1996, running perfectly on Windows 7, without using any compatibility mode support.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version