ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?

<< < (6/15) > >>

f0dder:
I should add, however, that with or without the elevated status, Dreamweaver still gets challenged by UAC every time I start it.-cyberdiva (July 20, 2011, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Aaaah, there you've got your problem, then - DW have been running with administrative privileges all the time, which is why AW couldn't control it until you ran that with administrative privileges as well.

The thing to keep in mind is that UAC 'dumbs down' your administrative account pretty much to the level of a Limited User Account - so by default, applications don't have a lot of control.

Haven't used DW since version 2, but it was already fast becoming a monster back then. Dunno why it would require admin privs, can't think of a good reason for it, but as Stoic Joker says it could be (stupid) registry access, or it could be (stupid) attempts at accessing folders it really shouldn't be accessing :)

cyberdiva:
Aaaah, there you've got your problem, then - DW have been running with administrative privileges all the time, which is why AW couldn't control it until you ran that with administrative privileges as well.
-f0dder (July 20, 2011, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I follow you.  Why do you say that DW has been running with administrative privileges all the time?

Yes, I agree, DW is something of a monster, but it's the monster I know  :) .  It was bought for me at work some years ago, and I've used it ever since.  I suspect that if it were to go belly up, I wouldn't shell out the big bucks to replace it, but as long as it works, I'm happy with it.

cyberdiva:
It might be worth a shot to give yourself permission to the Dreamweaver registry keys (HKLM/Software/[author]/Dreamweaver/...)to get UAC to hush when it loads.
-Stoic Joker (July 20, 2011, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Stoic Joker, for this interesting suggestion.  However, I try to limit messing with the Registry to times when I really have to.  Since I've more or less gotten used to UAC's "do you want to use this?" stupidity, I'm probably best off leaving well enough alone.  But I do plan to bookmark your suggestion in case my patience starts to wear thin.  :)

f0dder:
Aaaah, there you've got your problem, then - DW have been running with administrative privileges all the time, which is why AW couldn't control it until you ran that with administrative privileges as well.-f0dder (July 20, 2011, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I follow you.  Why do you say that DW has been running with administrative privileges all the time?-cyberdiva (July 20, 2011, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
As soon as you click "yes" on an UAC prompt, the application that's prompting is granted administrative privileges.

cyberdiva:
As soon as you click "yes" on an UAC prompt, the application that's prompting is granted administrative privileges.
-f0dder (July 20, 2011, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, I see.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version