ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are good sunglasses (brands)?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Renegade:
I think I'd prefer as light weight as possible, ultra padded/soft on the nose and ears. And really big lenses that cover as much of my field of vision as possible so I can see wherever I look without having to point my face directly at what I'm looking at to get it within the lense frame.
-Deozaan (July 20, 2011, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 there.

I don't like heavy. I like them to be as invisible as possible.

As for large lenses, I don't like them large, but that's why I like my Oakleys so much. They curve nicely around my face so I don't need large lenses. There isn't much space at the edges where I can look "outside" the sunglasses.

It's a different solution for the same problem. Curved frames vs. large lenses.

Stoic Joker:
What about if you already have/wear prescription glasses? Is the advice all the same? Or does that change things at all?-Deozaan (July 20, 2011, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

For the most part yes, but it can depend on the level of correction/prescription as to what type of frame works best (durability wise). Drill mounts tend to break easily with higher corrective prescriptions. They're also god awful delicate. Rimless frames suffer some of the same issues with chipping if the edges aren't beveled (and grooved) properly. Personally I like a lightweight metal frame because I still like to play mechanic from time to time.

I currently have prescription glasses with transition lenses. I like them, but since these are my first pair of glasses ever I didn't really know what I was doing and I got glasses with the frame and lenses too small. And since I'm wearing them all the time they give me a headache (so I end up not wearing them all the time if I can help it).-Deozaan (July 20, 2011, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Transitions are a UV sensitive CR39 (plastic) lenses (that don't change well in the car because the factory windshields block UV. Photo-gray lenses are glass. So if you do have transitions, you shouldn't have a weight problem there.

Any issues with depth perception? The PD (Pupilary Distance) Optical center of the lenses has to match your eyes, or you will have a constant draw that causes eye strain. Or if you have a astigmatism and the lens is off axis, that will cause headaches also.

I think I'd prefer as light weight as possible, ultra padded/soft on the nose and ears. And really big lenses that cover as much of my field of vision as possible so I can see wherever I look without having to point my face directly at what I'm looking at to get it within the lens frame.-Deozaan (July 20, 2011, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't want to go too big and end up with out-of-fashion BCGs (Birth Control Glasses...). Chances are, being your first pair you may have fiddled with them a bit to much from not being used to having them on your face (it happens). Or maybe they were just not fitted properly when you originally got them. Adjusting the frames to properly fit a persons face comfortably is an art.

I do understand what you mean about not wanting to have to turn your head all the time. I'm in my 2nd pair of progressives (no-line bifocals), and I absolutely hate them, because the corners blur due to the extra reading add power curves. But it kills my neck to have to keep wagging my head to look beside me.

While I don't know how small your small frames are, I do think if you went in and had them re-adjust the fit they'd annoy you a lot less. Nose pads should never be painful (even the cheap ones) if adjusted properly.

Might not hurt to have the prescription verified also - Do make a point to mention the headaches. Eyeglass prescriptions are only good for 2 years.

Side Note: Renegades tip about the wrap-around style frames is a good one. We used to put perscription lenses in those frames for people all the time and never had any complaints. I was just never quite hip enough for Oakleys, and tended to go for the 70's style avaitor frames...Or something in a (non-Harry Potter) medium round.

Deozaan:
While I don't know how small your small frames are, I do think if you went in and had them re-adjust the fit they'd annoy you a lot less. Nose pads should never be painful (even the cheap ones) if adjusted properly.-Stoic Joker (July 20, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was bargain hunting. There was a deal where certain frames were really cheap but I didn't like the look (or feel) of any of them. Then I found some that seemed to fit okay and I thought looked good. Turns out I had somehow meandered into the "youth" section. But they felt fine at the time and they were the only ones I liked, so my frames are "youth" sized. After wearing them a while I feel like they squeeze my head too tightly near my ears but also the weight of them on my nose starts bothering me as well.

I think I may just be really sensitive to stuff on myself. I can never stand to wear bracelets, a necklace, or a watch. Wearing over the head earphones hurts my ears, and in-ear earphones hurt the inside of my ear. So yeah, this constant downward pressure on the bridge of my nose starts to hurt after a while. And the frame "arms" squeezing my head just behind my temples is what really hurts.

Any issues with depth perception?
-Stoic Joker (July 20, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not that I'm aware of. At least not without glasses.

I think I'd prefer as light weight as possible, ultra padded/soft on the nose and ears. And really big lenses that cover as much of my field of vision as possible so I can see wherever I look without having to point my face directly at what I'm looking at to get it within the lens frame.-Deozaan (July 20, 2011, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't want to go too big and end up with out-of-fashion BCGs (Birth Control Glasses...). Chances are, being your first pair you may have fiddled with them a bit to much from not being used to having them on your face (it happens). Or maybe they were just not fitted properly when you originally got them. Adjusting the frames to properly fit a persons face comfortably is an art.-Stoic Joker (July 20, 2011, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't necessarily want those huge, thick lenses like those of BCGs, but what I really hate is after wearing my glasses for a long time, I take them off and I can close my eyes and see the "boxes" of the frames around the lenses. It makes me feel like I have tunnel vision. Except instead of being round tunnels it's more like a thin, wide rectangle (think Cyclops of X-Men).

I think I'd probably be fine with frames that are a bit larger vertically than mine are, and also curved around the side of my head. Basically I just want as much of my viewing area to be covered by the lenses so I can comfortably look with my eyes instead of my head. This is especially important when in leisurely or awkward positions (e.g. laying down or contorting into a strange position try to reach something behind a refrigerator, etc.).

I also don't like how the world bends and distorts as I move my head around. It's weird.

And one more problem I have: My eyelashes are kind of long I guess, and they often brush up against the inside of any glasses I ever try on. Ever. So annoying!

What I really want is LASIK with transition/UV/polarized lenses. ;)

Stoic Joker:
I had a funny feeling about the youth frames, but didn't want to say anything ... Whoever did the fitting should have caught that instead of just rushing through the sale. :mad:

If you can find a competent optician, they should be able to properly adjust the frames to properly fit you face. Which would (obviously) also require extending the nose pads a bit to accommodate you eyelashes.

If "The world is bending and distorting", (assuming a non bi-focal single vision prescription) the lenses are probably buckled (cut wrong). And being that it sounds like they botched everything else ... They probably are.

(OTOH) Contacts may be a better option if you can handle sticking something in your eye (I can't).

superboyac:
Ok ok...we're getting close here...

So, i like this idea of picking the frame from Costco or wherever you get your regular eyeglasses from.  Now, other than Costco and Kaiser, where would be a good place to check out a large variety of frames?  I'd really like to see what is out there.  I also like the idea of not getting name brand stuff and just getting something that may not be known very well, but is solidly built and so forth.  Kind of like the suits I get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version