ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are good sunglasses (brands)?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Here's what I like in glasses: glass lens, metal frame.  I have a narrow face, which excludes most frames.
-superboyac (July 19, 2011, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I understand the glass lenses seem more appealing, you really are better off with the standard CR39 (plastic) lenses. Glass lenses have to be thick(er) for safety reasons (read quite heavy) because of their tendancy to shatter. The CR39 lenses have excellent optical quality and only require a 3mm center thickness (e.g. are quite lite) to pass as OSHA approved safety glasses.

It's also next to impossible to find anyone with the proper skills to cut, edge, & heat treat (it's a bit of a bitch) the glass lenses properly these days.

steeladept:
Here's what I like in glasses: glass lens, metal frame.  I have a narrow face, which excludes most frames.
-superboyac (July 19, 2011, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would leave out my suggestion then :)

My suggestion (safety glasses) are plastic frame and plastic lens. 

superboyac:
OK, I can let go of the glass requirement.  But I still prefer metal frames.  I don't like the super light sunglasses...they always feel like they're just magically floating around my head.  I like to have some weight to it.

Stoic Joker:
OK, I can let go of the glass requirement.  But I still prefer metal frames.  I don't like the super light sunglasses...they always feel like they're just magically floating around my head.  I like to have some weight to it.-superboyac (July 20, 2011, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too.  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
What about if you already have/wear prescription glasses? Is the advice all the same? Or does that change things at all?

I currently have prescription glasses with transition lenses. I like them, but since these are my first pair of glasses ever I didn't really know what I was doing and I got glasses with the frame and lenses too small. And since I'm wearing them all the time they give me a headache (so I end up not wearing them all the time if I can help it).

I think I'd prefer as light weight as possible, ultra padded/soft on the nose and ears. And really big lenses that cover as much of my field of vision as possible so I can see wherever I look without having to point my face directly at what I'm looking at to get it within the lense frame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version