ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are good sunglasses (brands)?

<< < (2/5) > >>

steeladept:
I found my favorite sunglasses at HomeDepot, believe it or not.  Go to their safety glasses section and there are at least 10 different styles, colors, etc to choose from.  Best of all, most are polarized, meet ANSI regulations as safety glasses, and under $25.  You don't get the customized options of an optician's office, or name brand anything (so they are less likely to be taken), but I find them comfortable, cheap, and generally excellent for my uses.

NigelH:
I used to swear by Zeiss sunglasses (glass, of course)
These days though, I'm too hard on my sunglasses, so it's really a case of whatever is good enough (for me).
i.e. 100% UVA A & B, polarized, NO distortion, comfortable (of course) and brown lenses

I just bought a pair of Costco (Kirkland) Polarized Sunglasses for about $30
Very light, very comfortable - no distortion etc as above
Someone commented here about them here cruisersforum

Another over here
Maui Jim H407 407-02 Hookipa Sport Sunglasses
Referring to these (which look exactly like what I bought at Costco)
Maui-Jim-Hookipa-Sport-Sunglasses

Costco also has a few RayBans for about $75.

Stoic Joker:
The problem with cheap sunglasses is that you never really know if they're properly polarized or not. If they're simply 'dark', then that will actually allow more damaging light (from those parts of the spectrum) into your eyes than should be, which can damage your sight.-Renegade (July 19, 2011, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh hell man, that's the easy part. Polarized Lenses 101:

Hold the glasses level out in front of you and look through the lenses. Now while looking through the lenses, rotate the glasses 90 degrees ... The view should get brighter. If it don't, the the lenses ain't polarized. And if they get darker when you turn them sideways, them somebody cut the lenses off axis (and yes that is different than the prescription's optical axis).
End of test. ;)

The UV protection on glasses (that they charge top dollar for...) is really just a 2min dip coating, which can be done to any lens.

superboyac:
These are all pretty good suggestions.  I like the Costco suggestion, definitely am going to check that out.  Here's what I like in glasses: glass lens, metal frame.  I have a narrow face, which excludes most frames.

Renegade:
Ah! I have a picture of mine here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25127.msg239269#msg239269

I like having one of those cord-thingies so I can drop them on my chest or just not worry about losing them. (Frig... I know what they're called in Korean, and can't think for the life of me what the English is...)

You can get nice ones that don't look all "grannyish".

Just one of those accessories that I find useful with glasses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version