ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are good sunglasses (brands)?

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
I don't know much about sunglasses.  I bought about a $100 RayBan last year, which was the most expensive sunglasses I've ever purchased.  I liked it, but I was disappointed in several build quality aspects.  The ear pieces were very cheap and started breaking apart quickly.  So what are some good sunglasses?  I don't care about name brand, but I do want it to be built well and look pretty good.  Are there any brands known for being built well?  Like, what is the German car of sunglasses?  And I don't want it to be too crazy expensive.  Thanks!

cranioscopical:
Why not see what your local optician can do for you? You'll get a good fit and, probably, a better choice of frames. I still have a pair that were made for me years ago.

superboyac:
Why not see what your local optician can do for you? You'll get a good fit and, probably, a better choice of frames. I still have a pair that were made for me years ago.
-cranioscopical (July 19, 2011, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm...I didn't even know that was an option.  Thanks!

Stoic Joker:
Why not see what your local optician can do for you? You'll get a good fit and, probably, a better choice of frames. I still have a pair that were made for me years ago.-cranioscopical (July 19, 2011, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Having managed an optical lab for 5 years back when, that was my first thought too ... But Ya beat me to it. It's definitely the best way to get a good pair of quality custom sunglasses. Just pick a favorite frame (or bring one with if you got it), and have them tint the lenses to whatever color you want! Or get Polaroids.

Just avoid the AR coating, it's expensive as hell and hard to keep clean. Most people end up having it removed, and there is a charge for that...

Renegade:
I like Oakleys. The frames bend nicely around my face, and keep out that 'edge-sun'. They're nutty expensive, but... They FIT amazingly well. Do go try out a pair, even if you don't plan on buying them. They'll give you a nice feel for what a curved set of frames can mean for a proper fit. (Not all face-shapes will be amicable to them, but it's worth a shot.)

Some Oakleys are god-awful tacky. But they do have some very nice ones as well. These aren't the ones I have, but they're the type that I'd go for:

The problem with cheap sunglasses is that you never really know if they're properly polarized or not. If they're simply 'dark', then that will actually allow more damaging light (from those parts of the spectrum) into your eyes than should be, which can damage your sight.

The solution there is to buy from a reputable brand, and pay through the nose. OR, as noted above, to go get a custom pair from your optician, who SHOULD know properly what lenses properly filter out the UV light that can damage your eye-sight.

Either way -- you want to make sure that you aren't damaging your eye-sight with 'dark' glasses that don't filter the right spectrum.

I've also had a nice pair of CKs that I rather liked. Those got stolen. Oh well. (The next set were Oakleys that I lost on a bus in Thailand. They got replaced with another set of Oakleys as I liked their fit so much.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version