topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why crack offered for freeware and tiny app uploaded on Megaupload ?  (Read 4972 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Generally I google for mine apps to check the reviews, from independent blogs and reviewers, to make the apps even better. While on the tour, I found that "Overlap Wallpaper" was available at crack website with "unlock key" offered !!

Why on earth will someone need a crack for a freeware ? beats me.

Further I found OW in Megaupload. Here the waiting time is too much than the actual download as it is a tiny zip file.

Is this the thumb rule that all apps eventually find place in this type of website, even if they do not warrant for it ?

Any suggestion fellas.

Regards,

Anand

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
I suspect that the alleged 'crack' may contain a nasty payload destined for the unsuspecting, unscrupulous down-loader!

Many crack sites will simply serve you a virus / trojan / rootkit wrapped in an exe / zip file which is given the same name as your original search term.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I suspect that the alleged 'crack' may contain a nasty payload destined for the unsuspecting, unscrupulous down-loader!

Many crack sites will simply serve you a virus / trojan / rootkit wrapped in an exe / zip file which is given the same name as your original search term.

+1

Another possibility is to simply have something for search engines to get people, and hopefully get clicks.

A lot of sites have keyword farms for that. They can get lists from different places and just puke it onto a page.

A lot of other sites use arbitrage to get people to their sites, e.g. eBay, Amazon, etc.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For some people, the word "crack" is more trustworthy or comprehensible than "freeware".  >:(

But I agree with Renegade that it is most likely an automated content generator at work. It grabs names of real software and adds words like crack, serial, warez, torrent, etc. in an attempt to get a bit of search engine traffic and make some money on ads or another commodity that a spammer can harvest and sell (like emails or solved captchas).

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Generally I google for mine apps to check the reviews, from independent blogs and reviewers, to make the apps even better. While on the tour, I found that "Overlap Wallpaper" was available at crack website with "unlock key" offered !!

Why on earth will someone need a crack for a freeware ? beats me.

Same thing happens to me when I Google my own free-/donation-ware.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
So a automated system is working somewhere.

Huh ! how we have progressed !
One makes a good thing, and it automatically gets copied into a bad thing !!

Sad but true. We have to live with it.

Regards,

Anand

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LOL, when I first read the subject line, I got an image in my head of some weirdo trading crack for freeware.  :o

"Hey kid! How 'bout a couple rocks for that Screenshot Captor you got there?"   ;D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are folks who are making money from content locker and downloader sites. For example, if your app is popular then placing it on filesonic or similar sites will bring them revenue of few bucks per thousand downloads. I guess that or some people simply want to distribute viruses/bots through such archived files.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
LOL, when I first read the subject line, I got an image in my head of some weirdo trading crack for freeware.  :o

"Hey kid! How 'bout a couple rocks for that Screenshot Captor you got there?"   ;D

Hehehe~! That's awesome! :D

If it were LSD, the likelihood would be a bit higher. :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker