ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why crack offered for freeware and tiny app uploaded on Megaupload ?

(1/2) > >>

anandcoral:
Generally I google for mine apps to check the reviews, from independent blogs and reviewers, to make the apps even better. While on the tour, I found that "Overlap Wallpaper" was available at crack website with "unlock key" offered !!

Why on earth will someone need a crack for a freeware ? beats me.

Further I found OW in Megaupload. Here the waiting time is too much than the actual download as it is a tiny zip file.

Is this the thumb rule that all apps eventually find place in this type of website, even if they do not warrant for it ?

Any suggestion fellas.

Regards,

Anand

Ampa:
I suspect that the alleged 'crack' may contain a nasty payload destined for the unsuspecting, unscrupulous down-loader!

Many crack sites will simply serve you a virus / trojan / rootkit wrapped in an exe / zip file which is given the same name as your original search term.

Renegade:
I suspect that the alleged 'crack' may contain a nasty payload destined for the unsuspecting, unscrupulous down-loader!

Many crack sites will simply serve you a virus / trojan / rootkit wrapped in an exe / zip file which is given the same name as your original search term.
-Ampa (July 19, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Another possibility is to simply have something for search engines to get people, and hopefully get clicks.

A lot of sites have keyword farms for that. They can get lists from different places and just puke it onto a page.

A lot of other sites use arbitrage to get people to their sites, e.g. eBay, Amazon, etc.

vlastimil:
For some people, the word "crack" is more trustworthy or comprehensible than "freeware".  >:(

But I agree with Renegade that it is most likely an automated content generator at work. It grabs names of real software and adds words like crack, serial, warez, torrent, etc. in an attempt to get a bit of search engine traffic and make some money on ads or another commodity that a spammer can harvest and sell (like emails or solved captchas).

kyrathaba:
Generally I google for mine apps to check the reviews, from independent blogs and reviewers, to make the apps even better. While on the tour, I found that "Overlap Wallpaper" was available at crack website with "unlock key" offered !!

Why on earth will someone need a crack for a freeware ? beats me.
--- End quote ---

Same thing happens to me when I Google my own free-/donation-ware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version