topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FOUND: Can someone help me find this research paper/publication?  (Read 4232 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm currently researching Aquaponicsw (the combination of aquaculture and hydroponics) and a website has cited a source that I just can't find. FYI I'm doing this purely to satisfy my own interests/curiosity, so it's not like I'm in the field or doing it for an assignment.

This is the info I have:

a paper by Dr. Steven Summerfelt (of the well-known Freshwater Institute on the East Coast), titled "Summerfelt et al. 1993. continuous culture & selective harvest. Techniques for Modern Aquaculture, p 581-595.PDF" This is a paper on CMSGH (Continuous Mixed Stocking, Graded Harvesting), which explains how you can raise double the amount of fish (or more) in a single tank with a special easy-to-use stocking and harvesting method."

With that info I was able to find a reference to it near the bottom of page 41 from the Freshwater Institute's publication list here (PDF):

Summerfelt, S. T., Hankins, J. A., Summerfelt, S. R., & Heinen, J. M. (1993). Modeling continuous culture with periodic stocking and selective harvesting to measure the effect on productivity and biomass capacity of fish culture systems. Paper presented at the Techniques for Modern Aquaculture, St. Joseph, MI

My problem is that I don't know how to find the actual paper itself and read it. Do any of you more scholarly types have resources or suggestions or ideas on how to get this paper?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:48 PM by Deozaan »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can someone help me find this research paper/publication?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:29 AM »
According to this page, they are not all available in electronic format. I downloaded their pdf list of all available publications, and the one you want is not listed exactly how you quoted.

This one was listed however:

Summerfelt, S. T., Hankins, J. A., Summerfelt, S. R., & Heinen, J. M. (1993). Modeling continuous culture
with periodic stocking and selective harvesting to measure the effect on productivity and biomass
capacity of fish culture systems. Paper presented at the Techniques for Modern Aquaculture, St.
Joseph, MI.

You may have to contact them and specifically ask for more information on it, and where to get a copy. Email address is at the bottom of this page.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can someone help me find this research paper/publication?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Thanks app.

I sent an inquiry to that e-mail address last night and I've already received a reply! I, too, noticed the discrepancy between what was listed on the original website I was reading and the official paper's title. And now I know why that discrepancy exists. It is because the file Steven Summerfelt sent has a filename of "Summerfelt et al. 1993. continuous culture & selective harvest. Techniques for Modern Aquaculture, p 581-595.PDF" I suppose the official title of the paper is kind of long to use as a filename. So now it all makes sense.

Steven was also kind/proactive enough to send me another, more recent (2009), somewhat related article entitled "Advances in fish harvest technologies for circular tanks."