ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: when I download files.

(1/3) > >>

dbarton:
When I download files, sometimes I want them to go to c:\download, sometimes to F:\in, etc..

Is there a utility that adds some favorites to the save as box, so I can select from one of my top favorite locations to save to?

mouser:
Yes, many of us use such a tool -- normally referred to as a "Dialog Extender".  The review I've linked to is pretty old, but if you search the forum for such things you'll find some good discussions.

In particulate, Filebox Extender is now free.

dbarton:
Interesting.. I looked at Filebox Extender, but seems like it might be overly complex. Any other suggestions?

Anyone know of a plug in for Firefox?

barney:
I've been using FlashGet for years.  It incorporates with Firefox, IE, not certain about Opera, Safari, or Chrome.

It allows me to establish preset destinations, but also to change destination on the fly.  It also keeps a database of what files went where.

You'd have to add the FlashGot extension to Firefox, but that's fairly simple, low memory footprint.

One thing of which you should be aware - depending upon how it is configured, it will also add a text file for each download with the same name as the download, which I like, but that is easily adjusted in the configuration.

Might give it a look.  Low learning curve, loads automatically, pretty much a no-brainer to use.  Couple of extra clicks, but well worth it for the value it provides.

[Edit:  I don't like the dialog extenders because they tend to be too limiting, but they do work.]

Deozaan:
Just get a download manager that allows you to use labels or something similar (with destination directory tied to each label). Sometimes they will even have a dropdown box with recently selected locations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version