topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for July 18th, 2011 - "DonationCoder Plus"  (Read 26765 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for July 18th, 2011 - "DonationCoder Plus"
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Newsletter for July 18th, 2011
"DonationCoder Plus"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder newsletter.  The title of this edition is a play on Google+ which is the hot new thing in the social networking wars.  I try to stay away from these social networking things and avoid using them, but I did create an account just to see what all the fuss was about; there are a few discussion threads about it in the newsletter.  Things must be a little slow on the forum lately because it's been over a month since the last newsletter and this edition only has 9 sections (compared to the normal 10-12).  This might be the perfect time for those of you who are working on something interesting, or who want to start a new project, to make a post on the forum and tell the rest of us about your idea.

2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We welcome everyone's participation on the forum, no matter what your level of computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to jump in.

3. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out..

4. Coding Snacks and Member Software

We've had quite a bit of activity in the Coding Snacks section since the last newsletter.  The Coding Snacks section is where people post requests for small utilities, and DC coders like Skwire can be found implementing them daily.

5. Discounts and Giveaways

This month we have two giveaways and a discount:

6. Fun, Games, Humor and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out the lighter side of the forum - humor, videos, and games..

7. Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem.

8. Developer's Corner

The title of this section shouldn't scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a section for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial ideas, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

9. NANY 2012

At the very end of each year DonationCoder runs an event called NANY (New Apps for the New Year), where we invite the programmers who hang out on our site to release a brand new (free) application to the world.  Long time NANY organizer Perry Mowbray will be on vacation for most of NANY this year, but DC member Kyrathaba has been extremely generous in volunteering to shepherd this year's NANY through to completion. Three cheers for Kyrathaba!

In an attempt to encourage larger applications we've started banging the NANY drum a little earlier this year, and we're encouraging people to start pledging application ideas or start requesting help for beta testing or coming up with ideas.  NANY is open to coders of all backgrounds, so please help us spread the word to anyone you know who needs some encouragement to release something new.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:36 PM by mouser »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for July 18th, 2011 - "DonationCoder Plus"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Nice newsletter. Thanks!

When are the details going to be released for the monthly giveaway? :D

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Hopefully later today or early tomorrow.  Discount info will also be posted as soon as possible.

C

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Thanks, as always.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Great newsletter - how do I always manage to miss a few great posts when I idle on the forum all the damned time!

@cthorpe: any news of those tempting ExpanDrive giveaways... it is nearly the end of the month and I'd love to be in the running :)

Thanks.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Fantastic newsletter, as always!

As a post-press news bulletin, hamradio has won July's high-scorer challenge for the Kyrathaba's Hangman contest, and received DonationCredits as a reward.  Everyone be sure to congratulation Carroll.

sasaebach

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Hey guys,

it's already august. Any new infos on the ExpanDrive sale? Have I somehow missed it?

-sasa

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Staying away from social networks is something I wished I was smart enough to have done. With Google Plus, during a week of use, I'm sure I've done more damage to my reputation than I normally do in a good 6 months ;p. Also, Google Plus has this annoying tendency to spam the heck out of your contacts unless you are careful -- and sometimes even if you are careful it spams them anyway. It is designed to grow by spamming people into submission, lol.

Keeping staying away - maintain your reputation and dignity. Don't make my mistake. Also, they are a HUGE time waster -- here's looking at you FarmVillians! ;p

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:07 PM »
ha!

hi db! great to see you back.  :up:

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Nice to be back ;). I've been distracted trying to survive in this harsh world. Can't say I've made any progress, though I think everyone in the world probably feels the same .. except that elite 1% who rise to the top by being ruthless and exploitative. Then society pats them on the back and says, "good job".

I will visit from time to time, got your feeds in Google Reader to keep up with things ;). I am mostly glad to see how well DonationCoder has done. Things are looking great here. You've built a wonderful community a quarter million members strong! That is an excellent accomplishment. You should be very proud!

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:38 PM »
BTW, edited my tag so I wasn't spamvertising ... I have a feeling Google probably takes points off when it finds links in sigs anyway, or at least I hope it does with all these darn 'SEO' (spam as I call it) cowboys roaming forums everywhere.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43 PM »
No further news of the discounts and giveaways yet?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 03:46 PM »
not yet. we're sometimes slow with these things i know..