ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

<< < (8/12) > >>

tomos:
Re the second harddrive -
I ended up deleteing the partitions on it (3, including the 100MB system one)

But there is an extended partition left at the end of the drive(just called "Free Space")
If I try delete this I get the message:
"This is an extended partition. The partition will become inaccessible If you delete it."
-
that sounds like I'll lose all that space if I delete? (I googled that without much success)

I unable to resize it (in windows). Is there a windows solution for this - or maybe again a gparted one.

edit/ found some info about it, I dont know what I searched for first time round :-\
edit#2/ just deleted it, it was fine :)

tomos:
> Sorry I thought there was a debate before over whether to go the VM route or dual boot XP.

No apologies! there was a debate but from what Cyberdiva said, I'm hopeful my older software will work okay. I guess I should just test the software at this stage and if it doesnt work, cut my losses and reinstall, but with xp first, as you suggest.

I hope to avoid having to use it at all to be honest :)
-tomos (July 22, 2011, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's looking good, my most important programme works fine.

:-\ I am on the default admin account though, I presume I should be using a normal account or does it matter so much in windows 7?

edit/ will have a look/ask here How necessary is the UAC in Windows 7?
Update, activated and have made first backup  :up: THANKs FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

Carol Haynes:
Good news

Contro:
I love the VirtualPC thing and will probably never go back to dual booting. I've got networkable virtual copies of everything back to DOS v6.22.

C: partition, I thought 40GB would be enough but it's bitten me a few times, if you got the space and are going to be using large apps go at least 60 or 80GB.

Recovery partions are only useful if you don't have the install media (IMO). If you really want to image, use a 3rd party app to image it to a completely different external drive that can be moved to a safe location.
-Stoic Joker (July 18, 2011, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice combination
 :-[

Contro:
New computer arriving probably tomorrow, and I have a few queries as I know SFA about windows 7 and want to install it :)
Hope you can help!

I'm installing Windows 7 professional. I'm interested in XP mode as I'm still using software from 1999 :)
New machine will have 8GB ram, i5 2400 CPU. So I guess if XP mode is unsuccessfull I can use XP in a virtual whachamacallit (I have no experience yet with "virtual"!). [1] or should I install XP as well and dual boot?

Other aspects are, [2] how large a partition should I use for windows + software (very roughly) I wont be installing games but will be installing some spacehoggers like adobe illustrator.

Wont have to worry about page file till after install, but think I could chance disabling it, will wait see how I get on

[3] What's the story about win 7 recovery partition - and diagnostic tools? would I have to create a recovery partition like this:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4093-windows-7-create-a-recovery-partition
not sure if I need or want that, suspect I'd prefer to work with an image made once the software is installed.

I'm sure I'll have more once I get going.
TIA, Tom
-tomos (July 18, 2011, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's the meaning of SFA ?¿?¿?¿?
 :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version