ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

<< < (7/12) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I would wipe the drive and start from scratch.

By the way I updated my last post while you typed your response.

tomos:
I thought you were installing XP too? I strongly recommend you install XP first so that mutliboot settings are set up correctly - otherwise you will end up with either an XP install that doesn't boot (and isn't on drive C) or a Windows 7 that won't boot without repairing it.
-Carol Haynes (July 22, 2011, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dont know - I thought the general consensus was that going virtual was easier, and had said I would go that route (VM) ....
Do you think installing XP as well would be advantageous?

[edit] I think I'll just stick with the win7 install as both my xp disk are without service packs, or maybe one of them has SP1. Which would mean I'd have to slipstream before the install even.. [/edit]

Stoic Joker:
I would wipe the drive and start from scratch.-Carol Haynes (July 22, 2011, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me 2.

Carol Haynes:
I thought you were installing XP too? I strongly recommend you install XP first so that mutliboot settings are set up correctly - otherwise you will end up with either an XP install that doesn't boot (and isn't on drive C) or a Windows 7 that won't boot without repairing it.
-Carol Haynes (July 22, 2011, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I dont know - I thought the general consensus was that going virtual was easier, and had said I would go that route (VM) ....
Do you think installing XP as well would be advantageous?

[edit] I think I'll just stick with the win7 install as both my xp disk are without service packs, or maybe one of them has SP1. Which would mean I'd have to slipstream before the install even.. [/edit]
-tomos (July 22, 2011, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry I thought there was a debate before over whether to go the VM route or dual boot XP. If you think you are going to use XP regularly I would install it completely separately on the second drive (unplug you Win 7 drive) and then use the BIOS choose boot device to boot to XP when you need to - that way it is easy to remove if you want to remove it in the future as the two installs will be completely independent.

If you plan to keep XP around for the duration install it first and then Windows 7 so that it sorts out a simple multiboot system) - do this with only one drive plugged in.

If XP is just for belt and braces compatibility (and unlikely to be used much) install a VM.

The best solution really depends on what you plan to do with XP in the future!

tomos:
^
> Sorry I thought there was a debate before over whether to go the VM route or dual boot XP.

No apologies! there was a debate but from what Cyberdiva said, I'm hopeful my older software will work okay. I guess I should just test the software at this stage and if it doesnt work, cut my losses and reinstall, but with xp first, as you suggest.

I hope to avoid having to use it at all to be honest :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version