ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win 7, XP mode, & other first install queries

<< < (6/12) > >>

tomos:
If you leave it split up the way it is now it'll bite you in the ass down the road when you start trying to troubleshoot something.
-Stoic Joker (July 21, 2011, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
hadnt even thought of that aspect :tellme:
My sense of organisation alone demands it be done properly!!
Performance too would surely be negatively affected the way it is now...

It'll have to wait till tomorrow at this stage though.
Lovely quiet machine anyways, thankfully :)

tomos:
Start the machine with only one disk installed, the one you want Windows on. You can use the Windows setup program to delete the now booboo set of partitions and start over cleanly with only the 100GB partition and the 100MB boot partition on the same drive.
-Stoic Joker (July 21, 2011, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK I disconnected one hard drive.
During the windows install I could only delete one partition, so I deleted the bigger one and leave the 100GB one which where I wanted Win7 anyways.

But this time round it doesnt say anything about creating a 100MB system partition.

I stopped it and started it again - no difference.
So I'll leave it install & see how it looks at the end - at least it's a quick install :-\

tomos:
During the windows install I could only delete one partition, so I deleted the bigger one and leave the 100GB one which where I wanted Win7 anyways.

But this time round it doesnt say anything about creating a 100MB system partition.
-tomos (July 22, 2011, 03:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesnt look like it created the 100MB partition :-\ or is it hidden under windows?
No, I'm fairly sure it should show....

Any ideas?

Carol Haynes:
You can see the 100Mb partition if you look in disk management. It doesn't appear as a drive in 'Computer' because it doesn't have a letter assigned.

I thought you were installing XP too? I strongly recommend you install XP first so that mutliboot settings are set up correctly - otherwise you will end up with either an XP install that doesn't boot (and isn't on drive C) or a Windows 7 that won't boot without repairing it.

The other option would be to unplug the Win7 drive and install XP on the other drive - then use boot device choice in the BIOS at start up to select the drive to boot from.

tomos:
You can see the 100Mb partition if you look in disk management. It doesn't appear as a drive in 'Computer' because it doesn't have a letter assigned.
-Carol Haynes (July 22, 2011, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

No,
I had a look there. And on the web, apparently whats happening is this:

Windows 7 installation wizard will not modify existing partition which already been defined and allocated. The 100 MB .. partiton will only be created when user creates new partition on a clean and empty HDD (no partitions) [with the windows install dvd], or delete all partitions and then create a new partition during setup. Thus, system with hard disk already partitioned, and users wish no change to existing partitioning but wish to clean install can just format the partition in Windows 7 setup wizard before installing.
--- End quote ---

http://www.mydigitallife.info/hack-to-remove-100-mb-system-reserved-partition-when-installing-windows-7/

i.e. Windows only creates that partition if starting on a 'clean' (partitionless) hd
Do you think is it important or helpful to have it?
I could clean off all partitions using parted magic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version