ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Grid-based-layout Information Manager

<< < (2/3) > >>

JavaJones:
Speaking as someone who helps run a software development business, I prefer to see feature requests come in as they're thought of (although yes it's good to have them fleshed out). This may be a particular quirk of my own personality, but having someone send in an email that's 5 pages long with 20 features/ideas is overwhelming and I don't even really want to respond. With a single request at a time I can evaluate and respond reasonably to that single request, usually with either "great idea but not something we can do any time soon" or "yeah we can do this, I think maybe in the next version", etc.

I have a tendency to want to be "complete" in everything I do, in my communications, so if I have potentially lots of feedback I too want to sort of assemble it into a more cohesive document or something. But considering it from the other end, for me at least, that's not what I want to be getting from users. It's sort of like "Hey great product, but I think you need to do all this to make it better".

Just something to think about. As a bonus, if you sent in exactly what you said above, with the mock-up (perfectly serviceable), the dev might understand it quickly and get to work on it (if they agree it's a good idea) and you could have the feature quicker.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Thanks.  I've often wondered how the developers like to receive such requests.  I'm like you in that I really don't like to give people things in bits and pieces.  But if developers prefer them in small chunks, I'll do that.

JavaJones:
Well, let me stress again that that is *my* perspective, and I'm not actually a dev, though I do run a software development company and am heavily involved in the bug management process. Ideally users would actually submit bugs/feature requests straight into an issue tracker, but that's not usually possible. Barring that, for my preference, individual emails, not too frequent, with 1 or at most 2 issues/feature requests with good descriptions, would be ideal. Again 1 huge email with lots of requests and issue reports would put me off.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Well, let me stress again that that is *my* perspective, and I'm not actually a dev, though I do run a software development company and am heavily involved in the bug management process. Ideally users would actually submit bugs/feature requests straight into an issue tracker, but that's not usually possible. Barring that, for my preference, individual emails, not too frequent, with 1 or at most 2 issues/feature requests with good descriptions, would be ideal. Again 1 huge email with lots of requests and issue reports would put me off.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (July 18, 2011, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you now?  How much would you charge to create custom software according to provided specifications?  Something on the level of a coding snack...maybe a little more intensive.

JavaJones:
We're a very specific software house with an existing product that takes all our time. ;)
http://www.planetside.co.uk
Maybe mouser is available for hire?

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version