ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Want to see impressive numbers?

<< < (2/5) > >>

4wd:
Those numbers aren't that scary really, the US National debt is currently balanced by the GDP - as reflected on the World Debt page with a pretty much no net gain/loss ratio of ~100%.

However, if you look at the EU countries........ ;)

steeladept:
Those numbers aren't that scary really, the US National debt is currently balanced by the GDP - as reflected on the World Debt page with a pretty much no net gain/loss ratio of ~100%.

-4wd (July 18, 2011, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you are reading that wrong...

That is a ratio.  In other words, the US owes $77 of every hundred collected to it's own citizens.  It owes another $100.02 per hundred collected to citizens of other countries.  (Note I use citizens loosely as it is really just debts to national banks, public or private).

Renegade:

-4wd (July 18, 2011, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you are reading that wrong...

That is a ratio.  In other words, the US owes $77 of every hundred collected to it's own citizens.  It owes another $100.02 per hundred collected to citizens of other countries.  (Note I use citizens loosely as it is really just debts to national banks, public or private).
-steeladept (July 18, 2011, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Either way, if we think the US is hosed, Europe is f***ed!

worstje:
I hate politicians. Why? Because they do not understand debt. Normal people understand debt, but they don't. Why is that?

Debt needs to be paid back!

Sure, I am not versed in economics at all. And I am sure there are tons of really smart people who make the system work as it does within its limitations. But the only part politicians have in this system is to compound on problems they have no solutions to, figuring that in the future some smart person might be able to solve it.

Who cares if that debt is balanced against current GDP or whatever else? The amount of debt has only been going up, and countries do not even consider paying it back anymore. At some point, 'GDP or whatever else' is not going to go up anymore, but it will crash. Trust China and other upcoming economies for that. But the debt will remain.

If you compare those numbers to the ones in the year 2000, you can see some of them have more than tripled in 10 years time. And what for? A war against terror which still lasts on and lasts on. At one point, all that debt is going to bite back, and the terrorists will laugh.

For companies, it is called bankruptcy with very angry victims. For countries, it is a disaster. Given the importance of the financial system in our world, I say you might rather have a nuclear meltdown on your hands - at least you can evacuate areas. Once the USA implodes on itself, I believe it will take half the world with it. (And for those saying I make light of the people in Japan, I am not. Hospitals will go broke, resources will be scarce, people can't pay for healthcare, and that alone will claim thousands of victims.)

[/end-rant]

Deozaan:
Am I interpreting these numbers correctly?

US Families: 82 million
Food stamp recipients: 45 million

Over 1/2 of the families in the USA are on Food Stamps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version